• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Curious about treats?

Not that I eat a lot of desserts or treats, but what is there for such things (besides peeled canned fruit)? I've heard that chocolate is a no-no. I am lactose intolerant so I do like to grab a Lactaid ice cream now and then, but now I am afraid to try it because of the sugar. Obviously it's looking like no cookies or anything like that.... it's a bit depressing, honestly.

It'll all depend on what you can tolerate. Some people can eat anything, others can't.

I can eat cookies/cakes, as long as they are grain free (made with coconut flour) and I can eat some types of chocolate. Sugar doesn't seem to be an issue though, I can eat gummy bears until I'm turning into one with no issues.

Everybody reacts differently to different foods. I can use sucralose (Splenda) as a sweetener with no ill effects. Here in Canada we have some soft drinks and Nestea with sucralose, and you can bake with it.
From Wikipedia: The bulk of sucralose ingested is not absorbed by the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and is directly excreted in the feces, while 11-27% of it is absorbed. The amount absorbed from the GI tract is largely removed from the blood stream by the kidneys and eliminated in the urine, with 20-30% of the absorbed sucralose being metabolized.

:banana::banana:thanks guys! So what about gluten-free cookies, that sort of thing - since hbrekkaas, you mention no-flour cookies? Have you tried them, are they okay?
Tuff-I will have to try that too. Maybe find a way to make some homemade treats without flour or sugar, using sucralose. hm. Time to investigate!:banana:

Mccindy - I use a mix - XOXO Baking. I can only find it in one store and we live in Canada, not sure if they sell it everywhere else. The mixes are great though, they use coconut flour and cassava flour. Taste amazing and bakes up so nicely.

I can't eat regular GF stuff, because its all made with rice flour, but my kids like them. Since my kids are GF too we bake from scratch and have a ton of flours/starches at our disposal, but I've heard good things about Pamelas and Bobs Red Mill mixes. Udi's (in the freezer section) also makes some pretty good cookies/muffins etc.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.ca/ is a good site, lots of recipes.

rygon

Theres no hard and fast rule on what you can and cannot eat (unless on a diet like SCD, paleo or you have allergies). I try and et as much variety as I can and do have treats once in a while as long as it doesnt upset my stomach

I am lactose intolerant so I avoid pudding. I did freeze some cut-up bananas and then puree them, that was pretty good. Rice krispies treats might be good. I tried some peanut butter yesterday but that had negative effects.

I planned to check into making homemade pudding with almond milk, but it doesn't thicken well so I would have to use corn starch and I worried about the GI effects of that.