• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Curious - Elevated Liver Enzymes

Does anyone have any idea why my liver enzymes are always elevated? Seems that every time that I have my blood work done, I am told that the liver enzymes are still elevated. He wants me to have it checked again, but haven't gone in and figure I will just tell the new doctor, if I ever find another one that is.

It could be from your meds but I dont know much about Bentyl (spelling?). If it isnt from that I really do not know why they would be up. I would ask your doc whenever you can and see if he/she thinks it is concerning.

Mine too - I was told that these can also be markers of inflammation in some people by a couple of the consultants. They think this is the cause with me. My liver enzymes are coming down now, but my flare is ending so that makes sense!

I had a lot of additional liver tests to ensure it was just inflammation causing the elevation; all liver tests are normal (thank goodness, I was genuinely concerned that I was gonna add my liver to the list of parts of my body that dont work right).

Speak to your doc if you're worried. I'm sure they will run the necessary tests to make sure you're ok but you definitely need to speak to them.

Hope you're well today.

xxxx

I know that it isn't from any meds, because I am not on any Bentyl or anything at this time. The doc did run tests to check and make sure that I don't have any Hepatitis, but apparently he wants me to have the blood test again to see if it has come down. I haven't been back to that doctor or called his office since he humiliated me by slamming me with all of the abusive comments about how I am overweight out of shape and lazy. I just can't go back to him after that. I felt so humiliated.

It's awful he made you feel that way about your weight...... I'm so sorry to hear that! Don't let one person get you down!! You should follow it up just to make sure things are heading in the right direction though, you're GP can repeat blood tests for you. I hope you're well today.

xxx

lulu2
I am doing okay today so far, I will follow up with my regular doctor in about a month or so and see if the liver enzymes have changed at all, but like I said they have been elevated like this for a long time.

Well.. liver enzymes are usually located in the liver. teehee...

In liver tissue, that is. Alot of people with liver problems (ulcers, tears, cirrhosis, etc.) have elevated liver enzymes, because it leaks into the blood.

HOWEVER, alot of liver enzymes can be found other places.

Figure out which enzymes are high:

An AST test finds a liver enzyme common throughout other organs. High AST pretty much shows that SOMETHING is wrong with SOMETHING. It is released for muscle, liver, heart, kidney, etc. damage. So I wouldn't go thinking "OH MAH GAWD MAH LIVER" just yet..

ALT is kinda more liver-specific. It is more likely an indicator of a liver problem, because it's mainly found in the liver.

EITHER WAY, plenty of people have naturally high or naturally low liver enzyme levels. And like tflock said, it could be from your meds. Take a look at their side effects.

Good luck. See your doctor, if you can.