• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cushings syndrome

Hey everyone,
Today i went to go see my GI and after running all the normal tests, he told me and wrote on my report that i have something called cushings syndrome. I read up on it a little and I think from what I understand it can be caused by a long term use of prednisone though I am not sure. Does anyone else have this, or can explain it better to me, just the name scares me lol
Thanks in advance

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Naddie,

Cushings Syndrome can have various causes and is the name given to the collective physical symptoms that occur when there is prolonged exposure to the hormone cortisol. For some people a malfunction in the body itself causes this to occur or, as in your case, it is due to the prolonged use of Prednisone. As far as I am aware, when it is caused by the use of Prednisone once the drug is withdrawn the symptoms should slowly disappear.

Dusty. :hug:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
PS. I think quite a few members here at some time could well have been described as having Cushings Syndrome when taking Prednisone.

Dusty. :)