• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cyanocobalamin or methylcobalamin?

Ug. I don't know if I should wait any longer so I'm having my doctor give me a vitamin B12 injection only I'm sure she is going to give me the cyanocobalamin. Its not supposed to be as effective as the others. I would wait to see my other doctor (integrative) for the methylcobalamin but he isn't in today and I feel like this is urgent. In case it is vit B12 deficiency. My spine is all numb, burns, at times I feel tingling along my arms, and I have muscle and joint pain all over. I also have poor memory.

Has anyone had cyanocobalamin? Is it harmful? Has anyone noticed a difference when they've had the injection?

Sorry for all the questions I'm sort of panicking :shifty-t:

:sign0085:

Treatments: Current- pentasa
Past- pred. aciphex, ranitidine
Other: Multi-vitamin, calcium,
digestive enzymes, probiotics,
fish oil, and ginger

Last edited:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm sorry but I have no personal knowledge on this subject but from what I've read is that cyanocobalamin is a pure form of B-12 and I don't see how that would be harmful but I may be wrong. Someone should be along shortly who knows better than I.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Ha, I know the answer!!! My naturalpath dr, used to say the cyanocobalamin was the most absorbable and make sure they are the sublingual type, that dissolve under the tongue. Some one made that mistake and they found them on stuck in her intestines.

Depends on how low your b12 levels are, most people who have had a resection, should use the shot. I do, one less pill to take! :lol:

LOL! That's good! Can't wait to get it now! They want to give me the injection. I should notice some improvement in 12 hours (the tingling should go away). Its crazy because the burning sensation just happened two days and now I'm noticing significant muscle atrophy in my back. I think I've actually been deficient for some time now (having periodic tingling in hands, weird muscle pains, and vision changes, I thought it was all in my head-- well, it is!) and I'm probably currently really deficient. Just a guess. lol. It shouldn't hurt anyways.

I've never looked forward to getting a shot in my life but I've just been feeling really weird lately even though my crohn's is pretty much under control. It feels like everything is breaking down.

Had the blood test this morning but they might not get the results till next week.

:smile:

Last edited:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I think you would find that those that have B12 injections receive cyanocobalamin, this is what Roo gets.

Dusty. :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I don't mind needles, they dont bother me one bit. Had too many in my life. Even getting used to IV's. The nurses get better at it cause they only get one shot! One time in the hospital a newbie tried 7 times...got another one, and boom first time.

You are best to get the shot though absorbs better! It is essential to have this b12 in your system. Good luck!

Thanks Pen and DustyKat.

I just got the shot and it didn't hurt but its sore now. I'll have to watch for a reaction. Oh well. It doesn't bother me. One time I got an anti-emetic shot in the leg while I was in the hospital and that shot hurt the most out of every shot I've ever had! I think the nurse hit a blood vessel because I developed a mass and it didn't go away until months later. Gees.

Hope you are doing well :wink:.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I never feel a thing after my B12 shot. Just that I have to see my doc 50 min away to get the shot, he wont let me do it on my own :yfaint: ... but oh well I get to go shopping afterwards. :banana:

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I usually get a nice bruise where I get my shot - in the upper arm.....and it is a little sore after.....

Hope you feel some improvement quickly!

I think you would find that those that have B12 injections receive cyanocobalamin, this is what Roo gets.

Dusty. :)
yep - me too.. i've always had cyanocobalamin injections right from when they discovered the B12 deficiency, many years ago, and i've never had any kind of reaction from it, only a good one :)

Thanks everybody!

I'm still having lots of pain but the numbness and tingling has gone away. Can't wait for blood results.