• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cycling, hydration and energy supplements ?

My Crohn's is being managed by humira, I still get the occasional flare up but at least I’m not doubled over in agony when I get them. The problem is, I enjoy road cycling and I am finding it hard to find a diet that works to give me the energy to perform well whilst out riding.
Electrolytes are certainly a no go with me. (No Colestomy bag in existence is big enough for when I tried them on a ride!)
With this gloriously hot weather at the moment and a 100 mile competitive ride in two weeks time, can anyone recommend any energy and hydration techniques tha will not cause problems, remembering that I can’t take bulky food items on a ride.
Thank you
Steve

Hi Steve

Have you ever tried glucose tablets? I relied on these heavily for months to keep me going day to day, although I don’t have a colostomy so I apologise if you’ve tried these and had issues!

I’m guessing you’re in the UK going by the weather reference? I hope you’re enjoying the heatwave and managing to stay well!

All the best