• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cymzia / TNF blockers and swollen lymph nodes

I've been on Cymzia for about 4 - 5 months. Last week I noticed a swollan lymph node on the right bottom part of my neck, closer to the back. It's not painful and i've had swollan nodes before. Usually related to a virus or some other unrelated issue. The difference though is the location and the fact i'm on Cymzia (TNF blocker).

I know TNF blockers increase your chances for lymphoma, but i have no other symptoms right now ... Just the swollan gland. My appetite is great, on night sweats or fevers. I made an appointment with my doctors office to have it along with a few other things checked out.

I'm just wondering if anyone else on TNF blockers have had swollen nodes and hopeing if so you can tell me to calm down and not freak out over the whole lymphoma thing. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs (other then cymzia :ycool: ) so it's not like i'm adding to the dog pile although my mothers side of the family seems to be predisposed to the big "C".

Anyone?

PS. Very happy about my crohns still ... I ate Chicken corn soup the other night for the first time in several years and it bothered my wife more then it bothered me. Actually i had no pain or problems at all with it! :)

Hey Shawn - I wish I could say I've had something similar in the 6 years I've been on Remicade - but I haven't. I would try not to worry (after all worrying doesn't do anything - Geez.. I wish I could live by that adage!) - hopefully the doc will be able to settle it quickly for you.

Very glad to hear that your symptoms have all but gone away sounds like! It's wonderful when it works isn't it!!

BTW - in case you haven't noticed - we are having technical difficulties with the forum right now - so people may have a hard time posting to your thread until that gets resolved.

Good luck and please - come back and update this thread after you see the doc. Hopefully it will be all good news!

I've been on Cimzia since the beginning of October - so that is what? - 4 months and last month I had a lymph node in my neck get swollen but it went away the next day - then it happened again and went away the next day again - then I got one high up on the back of my neck and again it went down - don't know what it is but I have a lot of sinus problems and just thought it was that...should have asked the doc. as I saw him yesterday - if it happens again I shall phone him and ask but I'd say get it checked out if it doesn't go away or if you are worried about it - the only cancer in my family is bowel cancer! Eek!

yup - humira gave some swollen lymph nodes in my groin area.. I've had this ins the past, but noticed this after a few Humira shots, unlike Remi-death...

doc says is normal, but I never believe them.. since I believe they are insane and see us CD'ers has walking drug labs.

Doctor -- "Diet, that has no conclusive evidence of working.. but we want you to take a drug that could give you brain infections and you might die.."

Will - "oh, really... check please.."

Will...I can see you are very cynical about medication and surgery - I *really* hope that you don't set yourself up for emergent surgery one of these days.

For many of us the meds have worked wonders. We are trying to be supportive of you with your desire to do the SC diet -but sometimes it isn't helpful to others who are still trying to leave the idea of medication as a treatment open to talk so negatively about it. I hope that makes sense. Not trying to be ugly - I'm just noticing that attitude on about every medication thread you are commenting on you know?

ok, I'll shut up then...

but, we should not be lemmings to the medical community - do your homework but realize, we are not normal and we can not expect to be normal with food.. be aggressive with your treatment outside of the drugs and surgery, that's all I ask of anyone who has this disease.

Last edited:
I'm not at all saying shut up - I do believe that what you say is important to everyone. I'm just saying - maybe a little less negativity on the meds for the people who might already be frightened by them. Some people may not respond to a strict diet alone and if they don't take meds that *could* help they could really endanger themselves with disease that is left unchecked.

Hi Shawne,

I can't help with the Cymzia part since I'm on Humira, but I guess since they are both TNF-blockers, maybe my comments will be somewhat useful...

I have lymph nodes in the groin area, in particular my left side, that frequently get swollen and tender. In my case, though, I think it is because of the Crohn's. I haven't noticed it get worse with Humira treatment.

I think you should get it checked out, just to be on the safeside. Please let us know what you find out.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/swollen_lymph_glands/page4_em.htm#When to Seek Medical Care

Well i had it checked out monday and based on the location of the lump the "PA" was fairly certain it was a cyst, not a swollen lymph node. Basically i'm to keep an eye on it and if anything changes with it i'm to call the dr. again to have it checked out. There also doing a "CBC"? to make sure there isn't anything funny going on. Apparently if there is it will show up there. It's still there and i'm still concerned, but not as bad as what I was. My main goal was to get another set of eyes (or fingers) on it and I feel like I at least accomplished that much.

As far as being us CD'rs being walking drug labs, I pretty much despise pharmaceuticals in general just because of the money racket they represent. But if using there "stuff" allows me to spend more Q-time with my wife, daughter and our unborn son, then imma shoot up every time. We roll the dice constantly in our life.

Many of us think nothing of having a few drinks or driving while talking on cells ... How does that compare to taking something like Cymzia?

Just one last note on this one. I talked to my mom last night and found out her side has a history of cysts. My uncles got them at various times and had to have them removed. So must be another one of those shared genetic things. Thanks all!