• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

D-Mannose and H-Pylori

Hi Everyone, I had IBS for 20 years, and was diagnosed with IBD 4 years ago, early stage Crohns. I have been "managing" my disease with natural therapies/herbs/diet and been doing pretty well, but just haven't been able to achieve full remission. I just had a stool test which revealed H-Pylori, which was also present 4 years ago but not treated because the stomach biopsy came back negative. Now I am going for a breath test to confirm. I am taking D-Mannose because I've have also struggled with UTI's recently. I don't know of the D-Mannose is making things worse or better, and can't seem to find any info online that is reputable about the effects of D-Mannose with possible H-Pylori. Anyone got any info on this? Thanks ahead of time. :ysmile:

Hi Everyone, I had IBS for 20 years, and was diagnosed with IBD 4 years ago, early stage Crohns. I have been "managing" my disease with natural therapies/herbs/diet and been doing pretty well, but just haven't been able to achieve full remission. I just had a stool test which revealed H-Pylori, which was also present 4 years ago but not treated because the stomach biopsy came back negative. Now I am going for a breath test to confirm. I am taking D-Mannose because I've have also struggled with UTI's recently. I don't know of the D-Mannose is making things worse or better, and can't seem to find any info online that is reputable about the effects of D-Mannose with possible H-Pylori. Anyone got any info on this? Thanks ahead of time. :ysmile:
In the bladder, E-Coli binds to mannose that exists on the bladder wall normally. This causes the bladder irritation. When you take D-Mannose, it gives extra mannose that floats around in the urine. Since the E-Coli doesn't care where the mannose is, it will bind to the mannose in the urine also and then be carried out by the urine. At least that is the hypothesis.

Bladder irritation can be caused by other bacteria not related to E-Coli, so it does not always solve the problem.

D-Mannose has no effect on H-Pylori.

Dan