• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Daily pain/cramps with Crohn's

So recently I've been having small episodes of pain throughout the day, almost every day for about a week or two now. I've had to deal with minor pain here and there for the past year (since I was diagnosed) but it seems to be occurring more and more often now. Earlier in the day it doesn't seem to happen very often and is usually a short-lasting, minor pain. Later in the day, however, it becomes more intense and happens more often. The pain usually lasts a few seconds to a few minutes. The past few nights though have been really bad and the pain seems to stick around all night after the first few cramps. I find it hard to fall asleep, I have to keep switching the side I'm sleeping on until the pain goes away, and I keep waking up several times during the night.

At first, the pain seemed to be associated with the constipation/bloating I was having (after switching to the SCDiet) as I would be in pain until I finally passed my BM. Last night the pain was much worse than normal and I didn't seem to be that constipated (at least my abdomen didn't feel too hard) but every once in a while I would pass some gas and have some relief for a few minutes.

I've done some research here and other places on the web and can't really find too much information about what this might be or what's causing it. I don't think it's food related as I've been eating fairly safe foods lately but I'm not sure, I don't think anything I've been eating has specifically triggered the pain. What I've read on SIBO seems like it could be what I'm experiencing but I have constipation now instead of diarrhea (after starting the SCD) and it says the SCD is supposed to help with SIBO, not make it worse.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience this or something similar? Or if anyone has some theories/advice as to what's going on/what I can do? Unfortunately, my GI is on vacation so I'm going to check myself into the hospital tomorrow and see if they can do anything for me.

I don't know what it could be but maybe someone else on here may. There is a thread in here called Diet, Fitness and Supplements. You might want to pose your question there since you mentioned the SCD diet. Let us know what happens

Sounds like a flare for sure, "bad" days get close together- they symptoms get worse.
I have had a stricture before but no formal Dx of obstruction before.

I usually try and go on a liquid diet hoping to calm things down, sometimes it works others not so much!

Call your Dr, they will advise you, hope you feel better soon!

Lauren

I am sorry to hear, i do need to say that i get pain almost everyday like stabing cramping pain but im in a flare at this moment. If this is something to be worried about i suggest that you see your doc just to be on the safe side as it could be a flair or it could be something else. Hope you feel better soon

I agree. You are starting a flare. Once a flare starts, it can be hard to stop/get under control. When I flare it lasts for 2-6 months. You should see a Dr.

I get sharp stabbing pains to alert me to go have a bm or to pass gas. This started for me at the end of July 2015 and is slowly dying down as I am currently headed into remission. So this sounds like a flare to me.

When I first began to have this pain I was prescribed hyoscine butylbromide and loperamide. I don't think the HB helped that much but the loperamide certainly did (although in your case, I don't think it would help because it's an anti-diarrhoeal).

Definitely go see your Dr.!! Hope you can get some relief.

I get sharp stabbing pains to alert me to go have a bm or to pass gas. This started for me at the end of July 2015 and is slowly dying down as I am currently headed into remission. So this sounds like a flare to me.

When I first began to have this pain I was prescribed hyoscine butylbromide and loperamide. I don't think the HB helped that much but the loperamide certainly did (although in your case, I don't think it would help because it's an anti-diarrhoeal).

Definitely go see your Dr.!! Hope you can get some relief.
I was prescribed hyoscine when told I have IBS as well as Crohn's.