• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dairy vs. Lactose

So... I'm lactose intolerant, fer sure. I avoid lactaid also, because either I take too little, and get D, or I take too much, and get C.

Now, I have some yummy lactose-free milk that I drink often. (2%) Except, it still makes me feel a little weird.

I was wondering if any of you had similar experiences. The only plausible thing I can think of is that the fat content in my milk is still bothering me, even though there is no lactose. I've read a lot about avoiding dairy, and got to wondering if people meant avoiding dairy, or avoiding lactose.

Anyone have any insight? I know that everyone is different, but if you have any experience working with milk, I'd be glad to hear about it.

The problem is, I'm really underweight. But I can't eat too heavily, and I can't eat anything deepfried, and most oils bother me. So I kinda have been relying on milk products.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I use Rice Dream (the refridgerated one only) shake it up really well and it has no fat, cholesterol and it is so close to 2% or 1% milk. I love it and oatmeal and life cereal, it seems to be my safe cereal. I can't eat deepfried either and french fries have lactose in them, most dont know that. Could be the milk surgar or fat content that is not sitting right. What part of Canada are you in? :hang:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I've been lactose intolerant for about 10 years now and there are a lot of dairy-substitutes you can try. First of all, give goat cheese a try. Regular cheese made from cow's milk bothers me a lot, but most goat cheeses sit fine with me, including goat cheddar and goat mozzarella. As far as milk substitutes, I prefer almond milk - it's really creamy and yummy, and I don't even like almonds! There's also rice milk, soy milk, coconut milk that you can try. I like coconut milk yogurts and also soy yogurt. Don't worry if you don't like coconut, you can't even taste it in the yogurts.

I hope that helped a little, good luck finding tasty alternatives that work for you! :)

I don't do well with dairy, especially milk, so I use organic soy milk. I've tried rice and almond milk, but those are too sweet for me. I still need to try hemp, coconut, oat, and hazelnut milk!

Pen - That's what I was thinking too. I'm not sure how sugar reacts to me, but I know heavy foods (fatty, dense, etc.) bother me, so that's what I'm thinking about the milk. I find rice milk tastes like salty sugary water haha. But definitely not bad in cereal. I still worry about the fat free, as I'm desperately trying to gain any kind of weight possible. Interesting about the life cereal. I love cereal a ton, but alot of it (even though I don't have a problem with bread or pasta) seems to make me feel really bloated and distended. I think i'll try the life stuff. Thanks! I live in NB! I'm assuming you live in Canada?

Cat-a-Tonic: Does goat cheese taste similar? I cook alot, and I live with a family of five, so usually what I cook goes around, so I'm not sure I wouldn't get a lot of complaints. Furthermore, do you get it just with your normal cheese? I've actually never seen goat's cheese where I live... Could be that i wasn't looking though. I don't mind almond milk either, especially the chocolate stuff. I kinda want to try coconut milk too. Thanks!

musicislife: Do you have issues with dairy, or just lactose? And I've never heard of hazelnut milk. That actually sounds DELICIOUS.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Goat cheese tends to have a stronger taste than cheese made from cow's milk, so it might take a little bit to get used to, but now that I've been eating it for awhile I don't even notice that it's a little strong. It's usually alongside the regular cheeses, if the store carries it. Health food stores like Whole Foods usually carry goat cheeses (and goat yogurt too but avoid that - the taste is SO strong that it's unpalatable). Sometimes regular grocery stores will carry it too, you'll just have to make some calls or have a look around. We have a grocery store here called Woodman's that carries all sorts of goat cheeses, in fact I just got home from grocery shopping and I now have goat cheddar, goat muenster, and sheep feta in my fridge. :)

Here's an interesting link about goat cheese:
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/goat-cheese.php

I think dairy also contains a protein called casein, which it is theorized some people can show a sensitivity to. I have known autistic children on the GF/CF diet (gluten free, casein free). It seems to help ease digestive problems in autistic children, so it's possible that someone with other digestive problems might be sensitive to casein.

I still worry about the fat free, as I'm desperately trying to gain any kind of weight possible.

musicislife: Do you have issues with dairy, or just lactose? And I've never heard of hazelnut milk. That actually sounds DELICIOUS.
If you are looking for a fatty dairy-free milk, try coconut milk. http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/product.php?p=so_delicious_beverage_hg_original

Yeah, I know! I saw it at this little natural food store I sometimes shop at but I was already over my spending limit, haha.

I'm lactose-intolerant, so all dairy bothers me but I don't have a dairy allergy. I can have small amounts of cheese every now and then, but milk and ice cream kill me, and pizza makes me extremely bloated and gassy. I haven't tried Lactaid milk or anything so I'm not too sure if it's just lactose, or if it's dairy as a whole that bothers me.

Cat- Thanks for the link! Whenever I do cheese, I do strong ones, because they have less lactose. I'm definitely going to try goat's cheese now. I just had to buy imported parmigian cheese for garlic parmigiana chicken w/ Rosee Mozarella Penne.

Rebecca- Yeah, i've heard about casein too. It's the main protein in stuff like Ensure, etc. (which is weird, because most protein powders use the other milk protein, whey). That definitely is something to consider. I've always felt kinda yucky after doing ensure.

music- Ice cream kills me too. D: Which is unfortunate, because I love it. I'll definitely look into coconut milk too. I'm just gonna have to find someone who sells it. The only thing close that my usual grocer sells is a can, meant for cooking. And it nearly a solid.

Rebecca- Yeah, i've heard about casein too. It's the main protein in stuff like Ensure, etc. (which is weird, because most protein powders use the other milk protein, whey). That definitely is something to consider. I've always felt kinda yucky after doing ensure.

music- Ice cream kills me too. D: Which is unfortunate, because I love it. I'll definitely look into coconut milk too. I'm just gonna have to find someone who sells it. The only thing close that my usual grocer sells is a can, meant for cooking. And it nearly a solid.
That is why I don't want to try Ensure... The ingredients don't sound like things I should be putting into my body.

There are some very yummy non-dairy ice creams out there which are great for a little treat - still not healthy, but much gentler on my system than dairy!

If your store has a natural section or even a small section where they sell soy milk, they might have it there. If not, request it! Stores generally honor requests if they know it will make them money. Good luck on your quest! :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Pen - That's what I was thinking too. I'm not sure how sugar reacts to me, but I know heavy foods (fatty, dense, etc.) bother me, so that's what I'm thinking about the milk. I find rice milk tastes like salty sugary water haha. But definitely not bad in cereal. I still worry about the fat free, as I'm desperately trying to gain any kind of weight possible. Interesting about the life cereal. I love cereal a ton, but alot of it (even though I don't have a problem with bread or pasta) seems to make me feel really bloated and distended. I think i'll try the life stuff. Thanks! I live in NB! I'm assuming you live in Canada?
Yes I live in Northern Ontario, Thunder bay area. You have more snow than we do lol.

There is also oat milk here too, if rice milk is too sweet, I dont find that, but I also use Stevia, rarely have sugar. Once in a while real Maple syrup, tastes good lol.

That is why I don't want to try Ensure... The ingredients don't sound like things I should be putting into my body.

There are some very yummy non-dairy ice creams out there which are great for a little treat - still not healthy, but much gentler on my system than dairy!

If your store has a natural section or even a small section where they sell soy milk, they might have it there. If not, request it! Stores generally honor requests if they know it will make them money. Good luck on your quest! :)
Yeah. Ensure definitely is questionable. One of its (if not THE) main ingredients is corn syrup. Depending on your sugar tolerance, that's no good.

:crab: :crab: :crab: :crab: :crab: :crab:

Yes I live in Northern Ontario, Thunder bay area. You have more snow than we do lol.

There is also oat milk here too, if rice milk is too sweet, I dont find that, but I also use Stevia, rarely have sugar. Once in a while real Maple syrup, tastes good lol.

I hope that double quote worked.... Go Canada! Yeah, we definitely get a lot of snow. It was looking a lot like summer a couple weeks ago, then WHOMP! Blizzard.

How do you find Stevia? I mean, I'm not sure how sugar affects me quite yet, but I hear a lot of people talking against it.

Keep in mind goat's milk does not contain casein. Casein is a large protein molecule and slow to absorb, so it keeps you full, longer. With that said... it's DIFFICULT to absorb.

Casein could be the culprit in why you're not feeling well, even with lactose free milk.