• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dark stools all the sudden...

dark stools all the sudden...

I saw my GI dr yesterday and he said my colonoscopy(which was 2 weeks ago) and endoscopy(which was in November) look good. He did tell me to start taking a multivitamin and calcium. I haven't taken any calcium yet (I just bought some today) but I did take a multivitamin last night since I had some at the house and now I have black stools. My stools are never this dark and are normally on the looser side of normal.... starting this morning my stools are super dark and take a little more effort. Could the mutlivitamin cause such dark stools and if so would it happen so fast? I of course looked it up online and am starting to freak out at the possibility of it being blood...

-Jennifer

Trysha

Staff member
Dark stools can be reflective of diet.Also anything with licorice can cause black stools.
The best way to find out is by lab tests.
Are you having any other symptoms like pain or nausea?
Call your doctor and let them know what is happening.
It is the only way to relieve your mind.
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Iron causes dark coloured stools and it can also constipate. If the multivitamin contained a decent amount of iron in it then it could possibly have caused it and yes it does happen fast.

Don't take anymore of the multivitamins and see what happens. If it goes away then it was the pill, if it persists and you can't relate it to what you have eaten and/or you have other symptoms then you need to have it seen to.

Dusty. xxx

I haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary.. I pretty much eat the same stuff everyday except dinner varies a little bit. I don't have any pain (but I didn't have pain before I ended up in emergency exploritory surgery in which I had part of my small bowel removed and was dignose with CD). I have been having nausea on and off the past few days - although I haven't had any nausea today. I have been a little lightheaded when I stand up... it only lasts like 15 seconds though. I plan on calling my doctor if it keeps up just wasn't sure if it could be my multivitamin.. Thank you!

Thank you Dusty. I did take my multivitamin today - earlier before I put two and two together but I am going to stop taking it and see if my stools go back to "normal" . The multivitamin contains 18MG of iron.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
That is the average amount contained in a multivitamin and for some people it can cause the sort of side effects that higher dosages do.

Good luck hun! I hope it is something as simple as the tablet!

Dusty. xxx