• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dating, Eating and EEN

So Jack's first homecoming is next weekend and we just started on a 4-6 week course of EEN (first full day is today since he had breakfast yesterday).
So this is his first "date" dance and he asked a really good friend of his the expectation is dinner before the dance.
Any suggestions? I would think it would be difficult to take his date out to dinner and sit and watch her eat, might make her uncomfortable as well. This girl has been one of his best friends since they were 2 and has stood by his side and in the beginning was the only one of his friends who knew about his CD and would cover for him when he wasn't feeling well or had to abruptly leave.

nogutsnoglory

This must be an exciting but also nerve wrecking time for him. I'm sure his friend will understand that he can't eat. Can he just order some drink? Or even bring his EEN drink with him?

I feel for ya mom. Grace will never date...NEVER!:voodoo:

Would she be up for desert? Maybe go to the restraint for just desert?

Is a group of friends going out for dinner? If so, he might not feel so noticed.

Last edited:
C has never had this issue but when J was in highschool, the expectation before battalion ball(military answer to prom, except that we also have prom????) was dinner. Her class chose instead to pick a picturesque place to meet, everyone brought hors d'oeuvres and drinks(just finger food mainly) and all the parents attended with cameras. There were probably over ten thousand pics taken and due to the largeness of the group no one ever felt left out since everyone was running around getting pics with this one and that one(just wore the parents out). Anyway, long story short they ended up doing this every year and the one thing I noticed is they hardly ever ate the food and since it wasn't a set time of eating, the event wasn't focused around that.

When C came along to highschool, his sisters' grade had changed the tradition and now the majority of kids find their little group and meet up at a locale or someone's house and do this instead of trying to hurry through a dinner and worry about messing up their clothes and what not.

I feel for ya mom. Grace will never date...NEVER!:voodoo:
Not stressing about that so much since it is this particular girl and they are more like family. They were in the same classroom K-6 and their 6th grade teacher would just laugh at them said they were like an old married couple bickering as they walked down the hall "Yeah, Now your hurrying" "Well if you didn't have to stop and talk to everyone"

So I guess if he tried to cheat and eat she would read him the riot act. Thinking maybe invite the whole family over for dinner before hand. This is a regular occurrence so I'm thinking it wouldn't be a big deal him not eating. I wish he was going with a big group.

I like the idea clash of group for pictures, snacks etc. I'll see if he has a bunch of kids he wants to get together. I could host and put out finger foods etc for those that want to snack.

Not stressing about that so much since it is this particular girl and they are more like family. They were in the same classroom K-6 and their 6th grade teacher would just laugh at them said they were like an old married couple bickering as they walked down the hall "Yeah, Now your hurrying" "Well if you didn't have to stop and talk to everyone"[/B]

QUOTE]

:rof:

The last two years one of J's friends hosted the get together and it went really well. And honestly with the finger foods set up as serve yourself there really wasn't a lot of focus on the food or eating.

I hope he has a great time and we get to see some of the pics!!

I think Clash's idea sounds great if your son wants to be around all his friends. Otherwise the dinner with the two families sounds good too.
You never realize how much food evolves around us at every event, everywhere we go, etc...until this disease! Crazy...
Glad he's got such a good friend to go to the dance with. I'm sure she doesn't care!! My daughter always said..."Getting ready and being at the dance was the best parts"

Food is a major part of everyone's social,personal life my friends and I still talk about meals we had when on holiday years after the event.theres, gotta be a way round it for a younger person,crohns,what a pain of a condition affects even the most basic things people do!aaaarrrghhh.
Good luck

my little penguin

Staff member
Since we have dealt with many food allergy issues.
He could bring his EEN in a really fancy disposable coffee cup
To drink while she eats
Make cotton candy from dum dums or pure sugar
To eat together as a dessert.
But usually
Just drink before you go and talk to the group during dinner .

I love the idea of hosting appetizers! DS has Celiac and we almost never eat at restaurants. I've sort of been dreading Homecoming, Prom, etc. What a great solution! Totally stealing that one next year.

I guess for Jack, I'd try to avoid the whole restaurant thing. I mean, even if he brings his drink, he'll have to explain it either to his friends or the waitstaff. Is he ok with that? I'd think I would feel kind of awkward sitting through an entire meal with no meal. What does he think?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Not sure how homecoming works or really what it is for that matter! :redface:

We have formals here and at the time of Sarah attending them she was in the phase of planning her day around eating which mean't she would not eat at these type of events. They did involve a formal sit down dinner prior to the formalities and then dancing. In her case it didn't seem to be an issue, everyone knew she had Crohn's and there was so much talking going on that it all passed by uneventfully.

I think I worry about the social side of eating more than Sarah ever has.

I hope you find a solution Jm and Jack has a fab first homecoming. Good luck!

Dusty. xxx

Not sure how homecoming works or really what it is for that matter!
Traditionally it is american football gamed played back at home after several away games. (at least that is my understanding) Although I think they usually just pick a day in early Oct. So the week leading up to big Friday night game they have fun school activities, decorate all the football players lockers, dress up day - today is super hero day, the freshman are supposed to dress up wear Hulk related outfits. Jack is wearing Hulk hands.
It all ends with the dance on Saturday. Talked with the other mom and his date, they were really cute. They suggested just going for a smoothie and Jack can have his drinks and she can just have a smoothie that way nobody is really eating. His date sent me a picture of her dress last night so we can go get matching shirt/tie for Jack. I'll post pictures after the dance.
Jack is doing really well so far. Saturday night was hard we went to my sister's house to watch the local football game and ordered Chinese food because he generally doesn't like it but the smell was killing him. Ended up going to target for that cotton candy maker (Thank you, MLP) and we got through the evening. He just kept reminded himself that he doesn't want to take Pred if he can avoid it.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Well hush my puppies and prune my magnolias! My thoughts on homecoming wouldn't have even come close! Thank god I didn't have a bet on what it was! :lol:

Dusty. :facepalm:

Hi JMRogers
What EN does jack use? I'm going to have Leah try that next time instead of entocort.
Hope homecoming's a blast, leahs at the football game tonight

Jack is using Pediasure Peptide. He likes the strawberry flavor. He drinks 8 of them a day and nothing else but water and on a few occasions will suck on a hard candy like dum dums. He is doing really well with it as he absolutely did not want to do prednisone again. We are on our 5th day of no pain. He is at the game right now as well and brought his shakes with him. He says that is the hardest part is when he can smell all the food around him and it helps to just sip a shake at that point.
Hope Leah's team wins!

8 A day...that's impressive! I've tasted the peptide formulas...not too good! That's great he's feeling good. Straight formula didn't stop our son's pain...pred did. :( (But last time we did pred was 2010. My son being 13 now has noticed the 'round face' and some of his friends have commented, "Your face looks swollen". My son told them he got hit with a football... !!)

I think the 5 day pred blast and then the EEN has probably made a difference. He was given the choice of going for a full course of pred and did not want the mood swings and moon face, he hasn't had it since diagnosis in 2010 but he did not like being on it so I think that is incentive to him to stick with the drinks.
He is just starting to get ready for the dance tonight so I'll post pictures later :)

Great pics! He's so handsome, I'm so glad they enjoyed themselves!!

Edit to add:

I hope he continues to feel well too!!

We invited the whole family over for dinner and cooked salmon which Jack normally doesn't like but he kept saying it smelled good all night. We got out the good china, poured his shake in a fancy glass.
Lots of laughing and joking and no concentrating on what he is not eating. It went really well.

crohnsinct

Aw...I know he doesn't feel great but he looks great and his date is beautiful. They are adorable. Short sleeves for homecoming???!!! Not around here!

About the homecoming pic.

Ok, let me be the vain one......
I just love how his tie matched her sash and flower.
I think her dress color looks great and her hair is to die for.

Oh....your boy looked handsome too.:hug:

Modern shopping, I had a picture of her dress on my phone when we went tie shopping. I have no girls so I have to get my shopping in somehow even if it is only matching his tie to her dress :)