• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Daughter on aza

Hi im a mother to a eight year old daughter woth crohns she was diagnosed in aug 2012 she is on pred and 50 mg of azathioprine which she started a month ago she cant seem to stay well and most times ends up in hospital , I also have a 13 year old son with oralfacial granulomatosis so lifes pretty hectic most days , really hope the aza works .

It sounds like you are really facing some challenges. I hope that the medication works for her. What kind of a diet is she following, have you found one that helps?

Hi , not really following any diet at the moment my son is on a cinnamon and banzanote free diet for his orol crohns which really helps with his swollen lips , thinking of starting her on that also iv orderd a crohns cookbook from amazon il give anything ago really nothing to lose, just want the meds to start doing their job so upsetting to see her struggling .xx

Diet can really be so much of what affects Crohn's. Try putting her on a full elimination diet (gluten-free, dairy-free, no raw veggies or fruit) and see how that works. There are some pretty good links to SCD and the elimination diet here in the forum or I can post some for you if you'd like. If she's still eating gluten and dairy it could really be causing her a lot of pain, and getting rid of those foods could give her relief. Even if the meds are trying to do their job, the foods could be counteracting any positive effects by continuing to have negative effects.

Hi, I really hope the meds start working soon. I know how hard is to have two kids with diseases. Sending you hugs and support.

my little penguin

Staff member
Hugs
Sorry you are dealing with this
Have you checked out the parents section
http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Some have luck with diet some do not
DS didn't
The one proven diet for kids is EEN ( formula only no food )
For 6-9 weeks this can be used in addition or instead of pred
But is not a maintence meds like Aza
My son and many others are still drinking EN ( formula plus food)
To increase there growth and nutrition
Since that is a huge part of the ped side of Ibd.

The aza needs 2-3 months to really kick in, so things might get better in the next few weeks. What's her body weight, 50mg per day assumes she isn't more than 25kg/55lbs.

Hi she is small in height put has put on weight with the pred steroids shes about 5 stone 3lb , shes got docs this morning as overnight she has developed a small red doted rash which when pressed does not fade so thought better get it checked out seeing as shes in to her 5th wk on aza , she did do the modulen fluid only diet for two months she had a ng feeding tube ,but when she finished her two months she stayed well for one month then flared and ended up in hospital ,shes been having weekly bloods which show high platelet levels ,so see what the dr thinks of this rash this morning, xxxxxxx