• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dealing with Cramps

So, I've used the search function, guessing that someone would have discussed this already, but I couldn't seem to find anything, so I'll just start a new thread!

Cramping. You've likely all experienced it. Sometimes it feels weird. Sometimes it feels like you're giving birth. For me, it's hellish. So, I'd like to try to find some kind of general method of dealing with it.

I understand that there are a few options:

1) Antispasmodics.
2) Herbal stuff (Spearmint, Coriander, Catnip, etc)
3) Holistic medicines (Acupuncture, pain management therapy, etc.)

My GI has kindly informed me that I'm likely to always experience cramps, because "everyone experiences cramps, just to a different degree". I kindly told him some not-very-kind things, and he explained that the drugs I'm on won't actually stop the cramping.

Alors, has anyone tried any of these things? I've tried spearmint, and I find it works somewhat, yet it also produces bad heartburn, and it really isn't worth it.

rygon

have you tried peppermint tea? I think its easier to digest and i find it really soothing.
Other than that, tiger balm, deep heat and thats about it

my hot waterbottle comes with me whereever i go! a hot bath is amazing as well! i find walking as well helps when im realluy sore i take my dog for a wee walk distracts me from quite how much pain im in. as the painkillrs i have cant be taken if i want to you know function and be clear headed!

Thanks for all your responses! I use heat quite often too. My biggest problem is that I get them every morning when I get up, when I'm trying to get ready to leave. Like, as soon as I get up. It's weird.

rygon - What's tiger balm?

rygon

I use tiger balm white normally. Picked some up in Singapore ages ago and find it the best stuff ever (stomach aches, headaches, colds, muscle soreness etc) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Balm

As Kazters said, I also find keeping active helps my bowels. Did a 15min slow jog today and feel so much better for it. Hot baths are great too, but havent been able to find anywhere that sells hot water bottles :(

has anyone try flax seed as a tea.. you boil the water and add the flaz seed it self in the water and that seems to help me for some reason when i flare and i get bad cramping..

I use tiger balm white normally. Picked some up in Singapore ages ago and find it the best stuff ever (stomach aches, headaches, colds, muscle soreness etc) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Balm

As Kazters said, I also find keeping active helps my bowels. Did a 15min slow jog today and feel so much better for it. Hot baths are great too, but havent been able to find anywhere that sells hot water bottles :(
Yeah. Fat chance I'll ever get a product from Singapore haha.

I'd love to start jogging or some such. But my other Crohn's symptoms prevent it. I can't even do yoga. :mad:

Astra

Rygon

Boots sell hot water bottles.

Ben
Try sipping cooled down boiled water, sip, don't drink. This helps by dispersing gas, you'll fart or burp, that's why Mums give it to babies who scream the house down with wind!

Try sipping cooled down boiled water, sip, don't drink. This helps by dispersing gas, you'll fart or burp, that's why Mums give it to babies who scream the house down with wind!
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is cooled down boiled water? Like lukewarm? Or nearly boiling? Like tea, but without the tea?

rygon

They sell tiger balm in the uk as well in a few local shops, not sure about canada but worth having a look online.

Cheers for that Astra101, will have a look next time i go in

I personally use relaxation excersises just as if I was giving childbirth. It is also soothing to very gently massage your belly with circular moves in order to get your bowels in the right rythm again. If that doesn't work I go my bedroom, double up with my knees in my belly, ass up and head down and let all air go out. It helps creating space for relocation of your testines and anything that is stuck somewhere in a kink (because this is how I feel my belly in cramp). The latter you can also easily do in a restroom of a restaurant or at work (just make sure that your face is back to normal color before you show yourself again).

I've tried Hyomax, an antispasmodic my GI gave me. Did pretty much nothing.
I agree with others suggestions: heat, relaxation...

Astra

Yeah Ben, lukewarm.
Boil it first, let it cool, not too hot, and not too cold, won't work if it's cold
good luck
xxx

Joan - Thanks a bunch! I'm definitely going to try that first thing in the morning.

Sharon - Really? I've never seen it. Then again, I do tend to watch where I wander in Shoppers. Sometimes you end up in entirely the wrong places than what you had intended. I'll take a gander!

Just as an update: I tried the lukewarm water trick. Actually, it was more hot. Hot enough to warm me, but not too hot to drink in large gulps.

Worked absolutely amazingly!

Also, I've figured out that eating after 7 tends to cause me morning cramps, while eating large meals tends to cause them as well.

Tiger Balm is also at Wal mart in Canada, I know they have the red, unsure about the white...curious what do you do with it, apply to abdomen or swallow a piece??

i've tried antispasmotics but they haven't really helped.
heat pad - i use hot water bottle. I find it helpful

but it does depend on the severity of the cramps. the other night they were so severe that all i could do was scream! i've gotta say it did help somewhat!

rygon

Tiger Balm is also at Wal mart in Canada, I know they have the red, unsure about the white...curious what do you do with it, apply to abdomen or swallow a piece??
Wouldnt recommend swallowing it :p. Its just an ointment cream, so rub it in where the pain is. Ive used red as well and find it just as good, although I have heard that it can stain your bedsheets if you dont rub it in enough (ive never had nay problems with it tho)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I now take an antispasmodic (hyoscyamine), and it has helped my cramping. However, my GI thought some of my cramping was more due to IBS (she thinks I have IBS on top of Crohn's). But it is worth a shot!

When I was experiencing constant cramping I would resort to a sauna like environment or heat packs. Heat was, and still is the best when I'm in CD pain.

Cramps is a rather generic term. What I need to know is how many bowel movements you are having a day. If you are cramping from diarrhea...then I would advise one kind of medication. If you are cramping from constipation...due to a swollen or constricted bowel...I would recommend something else. Also, is the cramping related to flatulence (passing gas)?

Dr. S (spouse of a Crohn's sufferer)

Cramps is a rather generic term. What I need to know is how many bowel movements you are having a day. If you are cramping from diarrhea...then I would advise one kind of medication. If you are cramping from constipation...due to a swollen or constricted bowel...I would recommend something else. Also, is the cramping related to flatulence (passing gas)?

Dr. S (spouse of a Crohn's sufferer)

Well I generally get them every morning. I'm approaching remission right now, so I don't have alot of BMs. Usually one or two. But always one in the morning, as soon as I eat or drink, or within an hour of waking up. My poops seem normal at first, but then I start cramping, as if my bowels feel the need to empty completely. As it progresses, things are less digested, less water is absorbed, etc. It's like, I need to go in the morning, and my bowels think I'm not gonna get another chance, so they just fire off.

I see. Then I would suggest trying an anticholinergic / antispasmodic agent like Hyoscyamine or Dicyclomine. They work be decreasing the strength and frequency of the peristaltic contractions. My spouse has had great luck with Hyoscyamine when she was having crampy loose stools.

Dr. S

can any one help me i am feeling some pain in my anckel. All the tratments are in vain. Can any one have any idea