• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dealing with Crohns and trying to find the right meds

My name is James. I'm 30 years old and was just recently diagnosed with Crohns. I have been on Enticort, Lialda, Flagyl and trying to monitor my diet. It seems like I have a flare up every week or so that lasts for a day and then I get back to normal. On top of being diagnosed I was recently told my boss is closing his buisness and at the end of Feb I will be out of a job. Its unfortunate but I understand that life goes on and the most important thing for me is to find a good doctor and the right medicine to combat this painful disease.

Has anybody been recently diagnosed within the past 2 years that has found the right medication, or treatment plan? My girlfriend is completely against having the surgery and my mother thinks I should have it.

Sorry to hear that you haven't feeling well. What does your doctor advise you to do? Does s/he have any plans to use biologics or immunosuppressants? They help many people achieve remission.
Good luck.

theOcean

Agreed with seebee: biologics may be your answer. I was kept on the wrong medication for years until I switched to a better GI who got me on a combination of Imuran and Humira. (Remicade works really well for people too, but I'm unfortunately allergic to it.)

I would definitely consider talking about starting biologics before surgery. I have very severe Crohn's and they've really helped me -- when I was at my worst I had doctors talking to me about surgery too, and now I don't think they would dare with how well I've been doing.