• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Deep vein thrombosis prevention for crohns patients

Hi,

I know that corhn's sufferers are at higher risk of getting a DVT. I just wanted to know what risk category do we fall in and is it possible that you get it even when you are in remission ?? I do feel cramps in my legs every now and then which I guess is an effect of CD.

Is it possible to prevent DVT in CD sufferers ?? I will also be travelling in a long distance flight...9 hrs x 2 continuously...and am a little worried.

Hi Sid, the obvious one is flight socks. Or if you've had surgery & have still got surgical stockings wear those.
The cramps you get could be through losing your body salts through diarrhea, on the subject of DVT after recent surgery I'm wading through 3 weeks worth of anticoagulant jabs because the hospital is getting a lot of comebacks post surgery.
Rgds
Grant

Hi Sid, the obvious one is flight socks. Or if you've had surgery & have still got surgical stockings wear those.
The cramps you get could be through losing your body salts through diarrhea, on the subject of DVT after recent surgery I'm wading through 3 weeks worth of anticoagulant jabs because the hospital is getting a lot of comebacks post surgery.
Rgds
Grant
No ..I have never been through a surgery..infact i have been diagnosed just now...a month ago..although i have this problem for a year now.
On the diarrhea part...well I have never had diarrhea....although I sweat a lot..may be thats one of the reasons why I get the cramps.

But i heard cramps are common if you have CD or UC...and that may occure even when you dont have diarrhea or flare up with any other symptom.

Infact funny part is that I get a little panicky (lol) whenever there is a cramp thinking that it, might be a DVT in my leg.

Sid, probably worth investing in a pair of flight socks then. The general rule is on a long flight to wiggle your toes often & get up & move around a bit.
Hope this helps
Grant

PsychoJane

Hello Sid!
The causes for leg cramps are multiple. Often, for IBD patient, the cramping is due to imbalance in electrolytes or triggered by certain medication (ie, prednisone) rather than a vascular problem per say. Several mineral imbalance, especially magnesium deficiency, results in cramping of the legs and that worth discussing these with your doctor to do a blood check on these if it worries you.

For what it is of the flight, as Grant said, flight socks are to consider. It's wise to take precaution when flying that long. I'd also suggest you to take a seat next to the aisle if you can and walk as often as you can during your flight. If you can't walk at the least you can usually stand without being too much in the way. When you are sitting, take a few minutes every hour to move your feet so keep your luggage out of the way to be able to move as much as you can. Point your toes and stretch them back towards you so you can feel your calf muscle contract and relax. Do like 30 series of that every hour or so. That exercise is what they make you do when you get surgery and can't move much in order to prevent post-op phlebitis. Also, drink plenty of water(that also encourages you to walk more often to the bathroom). Now the annoying part, try to not sleep for too long... cause well... sleeping means not really moving around. If you take these precautions, the risks are reduced by a lot!

Hi Sid,m also from Kolkata,my symptoms of Crohn's disease are quite similar of yours,bt my colonoscopic biopsy report concluded with terminal ileitis and non specific colitis,could you plz tell me which doctor ru consulting?

I have Crohn's that's in remission BUT I am dealing with dvts in BOTH legs since Nov. plus I have a left over clot from my stroke 8 yrs. ago in the sagital sinus area in my brain.

If you are having dvts and your Crohn's is in remission, check for clotting disorders like Factor V Leiden, Protein S deficiency, MTHFR, etc. I was tested for MTHFR after my stroke and it was positive.

Better safe than sorry. good luck.