• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Definitive diagnosis of Crohn's?

I am wondering if there is any specific way to diagnose Crohn's over any other form of IBD?

My colonoscopy revealed "mild proctitis and digital sigmoiditis with a skip lesion at 30cm and again at 70cm. I could not progress beyond the proximal lesion" Unfortunately I don't have the biopsy results - he told me them at an NHS appointment but you don't get a copy of reports from NHS appointments. At the time he told me he thought it was probably Crohn's.

Yesterday I got the most recent report from my last private appointment and it says "Diagnosis IBD, possibly Crohn's"

Is there a test which definitively distinguishes Crohn's from other IBD?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I'm not sure. When my colonoscopy was done last year my GI said that it looked more like Crohn's and when I got my pill cam done a couple of weeks ago it came back that there was quite a bit of inflammation in my small intestine in which I was told was related to Crohn's as well. Unfortunately, those are the only two that I've had much experience with since I was told that I have Crohn's instead of Ulcerative Colitis. Hope you can get the answers you're looking for. Good luck.

David

Co-Founder
The primary forms of IBD you will hear about are Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, and Microscopic Colitis. That you have skip lesions points to Crohn's Disease. Ulcerative Colitis is continuous and Microscopic Colitis is only detectable via biopsy.

My colonoscopy revealed "mild proctitis and digital sigmoiditis with a skip lesion at 30cm and again at 70cm. I could not progress beyond the proximal lesion" Unfortunately I don't have the biopsy results - he told me them at an NHS appointment but you don't get a copy of reports from NHS appointments. At the time he told me he thought it was probably Crohn's.
You have the absolute right to view your medical file, and take copies of anything you want. It can be a prolonged process and they can charge a reasonable fee.

Contact PALS at your Hospital who can guide you through the process.

Next time ask your consultant to write to you and your GP with what was said at your appointment- as a matter of fact they may have written to GP so check with them, again you can apply to see your GP file, or just ask to read the report off the screen while you are there.

my little penguin

Staff member
One thing wee were told that makes it more likely to be crohn's is the presence of a granuloma.

Without one doesn't mean it's not crohn's - just one more thing they look for.