• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dehydration and IBD

Grace is still struggling but docs keep saying she's dehydrated.
I know she's getting enough liquid both from her formula and extra water throughout the day.
Also she shows no outward signs like chapped lips, dry skin and her veins are easy to get blood from.

We know her ibd is flaring, so can ibd make one more "dehydrated"?
Does anyone know why?

She was also dx with Hypoglycemia on Friday. Just another thing to add to her mix.

DJW

Forum Monitor
If diarrhea is present then dehydration is possible.
Has the doctor done a blood test to confirm?
But with dehydration I would expect the other signs you mentioned to be present.

my little penguin

Staff member
Have they tried pedialyte through her tube in addition to
Feeds vs water ?
Have they told you how much extra water she needs ?

Maya142

Staff member
Yeah - we were told to run pedialyte through M's tube if she throws up a lot or has a lot of diarrhea. I'd ask about that.

FWIW I was dx with Hypoglycemia as a child. My blood sugar was consistently in the 20-40 range though we aimed for 60-80. My parents were given a strict diet (measuring foods, foods to avoid, etc.) and were told to test my levels 3x/day. By my teen years I'd outgrown my issues and my pancreas seems to be functioning just fine today. Didn't even have gestational diabetes with my pregnancies. Drinking a Pepsi right now actually! lol

If Grace's glucose was low during an illness I wouldn't worry too much. It happens. If it is consistently low then I'd want a kit to test at home and a plan for what to do with high/low levels. Were you given any instructions or just a diagnosis?

No diarrhea or vomiting.
All the labs they ran point towards dehydration. I'm sorry I forget the labs.
We were told and extra 24-32 ounces of water a day.
She already gets a lot of water and this has never been an issue.

As far as blood sugar.
She was given a sheet of when they wanted me to test.
They said the first week I need to set a base line, like when she wakes, eats, naps, before bed........ also record symptoms and check levels to see if they correspond.
Then after talking to the GP we'll go from there.

I never thought of Pedlyite.
Also her blood pressure was really low during her Remicade as in low enough that they didn't want her to leave until it came up.
Can the be from dehydration?

No idea on the dehydration. Hope you can manage to get it under control, it's a difficult one to sort if she is already taking plenty water. A rehydration drink does sound like a good idea.

Her levels have stabilized since Friday( Remicade) but still it's going into the 60's-50's without sugar with in 2 hours. We seem to be getting a better handle on it. Also we realize that head aches are a big sign that her blood sugar is getting low.
I gave her teacher the schedule of what to do to keep her levels up. Thank God for good teachers.