• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dehydration

I've read that Ostomates need to be wary of dehydration. I've found since getting home from hospital that sometimes when I urinate (like just now, woke in middle of night badly needing a piss) the urine seems "hot", or very strong. Almost feels like I am pissing razor blades. Could this be a sign of dehydration?

Thanks,
Gra

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Gra. It is true, dehydration is a problem. My surgeon told me Im chronically 20% low on fluid because of my short gut and ileo. If your urine is very concentrated it could be a sign of dehydration. Other signs are fatigue, light headed, nausea, muscle spasms etc. Consentrated urine is an early warning sign.

annawato

Staff member
Yes I agree with Lucinda, sounds more like a urinary tract infection, possibly from the catheter. Dehydration causes dark urine (or very little urine) but not pain. Also lightheadedness and cramps as Dave mentioned. You also lose a lot of salt with large output. I found tomato juice or cup a soups great to give both fluids and salt.
How many times a day do you have to empty your bag and what consistency is it? Watery or thicker? Also sipping a drink slowly allows it to be absorbed more easily than gulping a glass down at a time.

Thanks all for the input. My symptoms (pain) seem to have eased off now. Told my Dr. and he's given me a urine test to do, will get that tomorrow just to be sure.