• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dehydration?

I was flaring pretty badly last week, but gotten better. Still see some blood in my bm :( But another question, just got my blood pressure and it was really low like 76/49 or something like that and have been really dehydrated these days so i drown myself in powerade everyday. Could that be a sign of crohn's coming back? Or some lacking of vitamins? Please help!

You could just be recovering from your flare up still. Even when my disease isn't very active, I can still have a hard time staying hydrated. If you can tolerate it, coconut water is really good for hydrating. And try to eat a little salt, as that helps your body absorb the liquids. Also, drinking too much can cause rebound dehydration so watch that. If it doesn't get better, talk to your doc about it or go to an urgent care center for IV hydration. Not very fun, but it helps.

By US standards your BP is very low. At least a call to your doctor is highly recommended. Even a liter of IV fluid will make you feel very much better.

I had to go to the doctor about a month ago because I was getting really dizzy and almost passing out and I found out it was from really low blood pressure. She told me to drink salt water, but then it started making my heart race and act weird! She also said my iron was low, and that could be it also, so I'm taking iron. But everyone is different so I would talk to your doctor! She also recommended pedialyte. Hope I kinda helped!

Don't drink powerade it would be wise to drink herbal teas with no caffeine.

+1 on the coconut water (not from a can)

Had coconut water before, it made my stomach feels weird, almost painful. Is there any other suggestions?

Pedialyte or other oral electrolyte solutions without a lot of sugar is good. Just be careful with Gatorade or Powerade, as it can bother some people and cause diarrhea because of the sugar. Orange juice and bananas are also good because they have potassium in them, an electrolyte we lose when we are dehydrated.

My wife has problems staying hydrated. Gatorade or similar work well for her; she switches to Pedialyte for more serious dehydration (it is fairly expensive). It helps not to get dehydrated in the first place; be proactive and get the fluids in before you get faint or low BP. Food also helps to absorb the liquid; even something plain like crackers or bread (if those don't bother you) or bananas.

You can definitely do Powerade Zero or G2 gatorade. It doesn't have much sugar in it at all, if any. Either that or Pedialyte or all things my GI doctor highly recommends.

Go back to nature and don't bother with these superficial concoctions. Squeeze some lemon juice into water and drink that.

Could you please explain rebound dehydration. I've never heard of it. Thanks.:ghug:
My docs have told me this. I'm not quite sure on how exactly it works, but I assume that it's from (sorry) having to pee a lot from drinking so much, and getting dehydrated???

I've also found frozen fruit sorbets, Italian ice, or just plain ice cubes help me hydrate without becoming waterlogged.

You can definitely do Powerade Zero or G2 gatorade. It doesn't have much sugar in it at all, if any. Either that or Pedialyte or all things my GI doctor highly recommends.
Careful on the no sugar drinks, if they use artificial sweeteners these can cause other problems. I can't do any except the natural one (Stevia). The chemical ones cause me (and others I know with CD) horrendous cramps and increased diarrhea.