• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Denied coverage for Remicade Aug. 2021

My daughter has had Crohns for 20 years and fortunately few complications; however, she developed Spondylitis as a result from the Crohns and had received the Remicade drip for years which has been a lifesaver for her pain. Suddenly, last month, the insurance company denied the continued coverage for the Remicade which is $2400 a treatment every 2 months. Her doctors are submitting appeals and she has filed a complaint with the Texas Insurance Board. Has anyone else had this happen and does anyone know of a possible class action suit to get the insurance company to back off this decision? Thanks, Bette

my little penguin

Staff member
Confused ?
She was only denied once and hadn’t had to appeal yet ?
Normal process is appeal
Then second appeal and then peer to peer review
If all of those are denied then you would have a issue but not until then .
even then you can appeal to the state at that time for a third party review in most states and most insurances
After so many years it is common to require more info from the doc which is where the appeal comes in - they require more updated info for the review .

We had to appeal Stelara for my kiddo after 4 years of rubber stamp approval - but eventually it was approved

I agree on the appeal. Oftentimes, the first bean counter that a claim lands in front of sees the number and has sticker shock. I had to do this with one of my endoscopies a few years back.