• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dental issues

Just thought I'd run this one by you all... see if anyone else had anything like this.
I had to have a tooth out a week ago (very annoying to lose one after 52 years)! The dentist said I shouldn't have much of a problem, but I may get something known as "dry socket" which can be very painful.
So, no prizes for guessing what happens next... 48 hours later I'm back at the dentist and I've got the dreaded "dry socket". He packed it all out with all manner of disgusting tasting things and said I should be OK. He was aware of the meds I'm taking.
A week later, and it definitely hasn't got any worse... but only got a little bit better. I can tell it's not turning into a raging infection, but the area is still a bit tender and sore. If I went back to the dentist, I think he'd only pack it all out again, which I don't think would help a great deal, and the taste of oil of cloves leaking out has lasted a week and makes me feel quite unwell.
Given that I sometimes get mouth ulcers, which are probably crohns related, I'm just wondering if it is likely that the crohns has hampered recovery a bit, or whether this is all entirely normal for anyone with "dry socket"
As I said earlier, I'm getting better gradually, but it's a very slow process

never had nor even heard of dry socket before. but the ulcers in my mouth affect my gums as well, makes them red and bleed sometimes. kinda like gingivitis, but thats not it. maybe the disease is hindering your gum from healing a bit?

I do know a lot of the drugs used for CD Predis the worse delays healing and makes your body prone to infections. I once recieved a tiny scratch on my knuckle 24 hrs later my hand was blown up like a balloon went to ER. So I would say yes its related to the crohns.

Thanks for the replies!
I guess I'm mainly suffering from Imuran-related paranoia - I'm still not entirely sure how immuno-supressants manifest themselves in relation to... anything!
Luckily I'm not on pred at the moment, so that one isn't an issue.

Dry socket: well I presume you won't get sqeamish about this, compared to some of the details we normally post on this forum...
when you have a tooth extracted, a bloodclot forms in the empty socket, which sort of protects it while it heals up. Sometimes the blood clot dissipates in some way, it either falls out or just dissolves away... then you have an open route between the outside world and a hole in your jaw, ultimately leading in to the nerves. If you ever have the same, get back to the dentist asap... it definitely gets worse before it gets better!

Well I've had tooth transplant surgery (multiple ones) while on Imuran (but I'm only taking 50mg) and nothing happened to me and everything healed well. I was only put on 1 week of antibiotics after the surgery.

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
have you tried, tooth ache tinture? you put a little on a cottonwool bud and stick that near the painful bit for a little while. its an aquired taste but it stops the pain. tooth transplant? not sure about that one, sounds horrid. sharon xx

I just had my wisdom teeth all pulled this summer but I didn't get dry socket. My bf did when he had his done and I think it took him a while to heal (normal healthy individual) But they put him on antibiotics... are you on them too?

Can't believe I've just navigated away from my reply without posting it... now I've lost it all. That's what dry socket does for you!

Try again...

Katisue: A guy I work with also had it and was given antibiotics. I think I'll give it another couple of days and then maybe go to the docs

Sharon: I'll look out for the toothache tincture... could be based on oil of cloves... a taste I've really come to love (not!) Sounds like something you need in the house anyway... for some reason you never develop anything like that during normal shop opening hours.

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
do you not have a 24hour tesco near by? i often drag my son around tesco in the late friday or saturday night. cant stand shopping with all the old people, it gives me trolley rage.
good luck and dont forget the cotton wool buds!!
sharon xx

re dental stuff. i've just learnt that people in aus with cronic conditions (crohns and arthritus fit the bill) can get $4500 of free dental done every two years! i'm about to start sitting in that chair very soon! PM me if your an aussie that wants details!

I've had wisdom teeth removed and gotten dry socket.Tons of normal people get it too.It's just when you form a scab where you lost a tooth..and the scab comes loose before you are all healed up.Alot of times happens if you smoke or drink warm fluids like coffee or if you drink through a straw...sometimes for no reason. Risk of infections are low.I've had the dry socket 3 times our of 4 wisdom teeth.Just keep it clean back there...warm salt water..rinse the wound out often also..other than painful my dentist says it's usually harmless.

Thanks for the info bubblesox. Unfortunately I have to factor in the fact that I'm an awkward b*gger... some would call it sod's law!
Just got back from the Dentist now... my second re-visit. He says it's not healing as well as he would expect, so he's pumped the socket full of nasty stuff again and this time I've got some anti-biotics. Hopefully that will do the trick.

I'd never even heard of "dry socket" two weeks ago... heh! heh!