• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Desparately seeking a diagnosis

Hi all! I am a 21 year old female college student suffering from chronic stomach pain in the morning right when i open my eyes, after meals, and especially with alcohol consumption- which is worse now than in a while. I also have recently developed eczema on my face. I initially thought I had food allergies and was devastated to find out that I am not allergic to anything new other than tree nuts. After eating I break out in a rash anywhere from just on my neck to my entire body- but it does not itch, i just get really hot. Yesterday I had a full blood workup done and am hoping for some answers. A lot of signs are pointing to Crohn's as I have lost my menstrual cycle even on birth control and suffer from painful smelly gas after nearly everything I eat. Last year there was a two week period when my stomach was especially bad with cramping and burning in my lower abdomen. I went to the gastro and they suspected IBS but I am still having issues and they're progressing. I am also anemic and have been tested twice for Celiac both coming back negative. I understand everyone has a unique journey and symptoms but I would love any thoughts on dietary changes to attenuate the cramping and pain, and anything else you'd like to contribute. Thank you for listening to my story!

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

One thing I suggest (you'll get lots of other helpful advice here) is keeping a food and symptom journal to see if there are other triggers.

Have you had a colonoscooy and upper endoscopy done?

Sending you my support.

Its an odd thing but did they test animal fat? My mother is actually allergic to meat.

I didn't know Crohn's could effect periods. Mine is terribly irregular and birth control doesn't help.

I get pains like that if I drink anything other than skim milk. But I'm not lactose intolerant.

Food journal will help. Especially if you have it ready for the doctor. Not only journal what you eat, but what times. And what times you poop. If they are urgent, difficult, or loose. And what times you start cramping.

I agree with a food journal and also that you will get tons of advice and support on here. I really hope that it doesn't turn out to be Crohn's disease for you.
I have Crohn's disease and my boyfriend has irritable bowel syndrome and we both suffer with very similar symptoms around food. Dairy, alcohol and spicy food seem to be the ones most common that we both struggle with. I also find too much gluten/ wheat will upset my stomach, certain fruit- mainly citrus and general unhealthy fast food... hope this helps!
Fingers crossed you don't have to wait too long for your bloods to come back

Yep food diary and symptom diary is best. Make sure you write down everything in that journal and questions too because doctors always seem to be in a hurry. My menstrual cycle is goofed up too since I have crohns, its here and gone in 2-3 days at the most. I wish ya the best!

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome to the community. I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles. :( I hope the doctors are able to figure things out soon!

Please keep us updated as to how you're doing and what the doctors find.

All my best to you.