• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Desperate girl from Czech rep.

Hi everybody,

I am 24 years old, born&raised in Czech republic (so please excuse my strange English :) ) in family of four women (mom, 2 older sisters, me). My father left us when I was 3 months old and my mother didn't really try to do her best raising us - she beat us, tortured, didn't care about our health and problems at all. I ran away when I was 17.

The worst adventures started 8 years ago, when I got a cystitis, which became chronic. I found out, that my kidneys were kind of damaged since I was born. That means I shouldn't be drinking black tea, coffee, eating citrus fruits, etc. I wish my mother had told me that. She knew, she just decided not to deal with it. Health care in our country is quite poor, every sore throat is treated by ATB, so after few years of taking ATBs for kidneys my organism just said "enough!"

In the age of 20 I got chickenpox, year after that salmonella, I was almost forced to leave university, but somehow I finished it. Since then it looks like I have no imune system, I catch every cold, I feel like complete cripple.

In autumn 2011 I strated feeling like my stomach was digesting itself, my doctor thought it was gastric ulcer, but endoscopy didn't find anything. Problems stopped four months later, when I excluded dairy products. In December 2012 I started to sense some uncomfortable feeling in my stomach again, but it was slowly becoming worse. Diarrhea, vomiting, various diets. Weight loss was really cool (at the beginning, now I am getting concerned), although I couldn't eat many things. Doctors ran different blood test, performed colonoscopy, endoscopy and ultrasonography, everything was clear, except stomach tissue histology, that confirmed lactose intolerance. For that I got omeprazole (doesn't help much). The newest doctor's suspicion is CD. Another series of testing coming up in May.

In past few weeks I couldn't eat anymore, fainted few times and feel like dying every morning in the bathroom. I am so weak that I was told not to leave apartment, it's like being a prisoner in your own house. I get pretty scared here each time I fall, ache or vomit. I feel quite alone, because nobody around me knows, what horror I am going through each day. I have no idea, how my boyfriend manages both work and taking care of me. Without him, I would probably be already dead. Sometimes I think it would solve everybody's problems...

I had to leave university and ended without money (no money from government till there is a diagnosis), living with my boyfriend, who pays rent, buys food and medicine and slowly becomes tired too. I just don't want to lose him due to this annoying tummy-ache. Which young man is prepared to see the future mother of his children as dependent wreck with bruises all over her body, vomiting in the bathroom for the third time that day...?

Sorry about all this no-good stuff I've written. I am just learning to live with the simple truth that there are things like my stomach and bowels, which are never responding to yelling, pleas, tears. And I seem not to handle it very well. I just wish to find a way to live through all of this. Preferably in one piece. :)

To all of you I wish you get as healthy as possible in no time!

Sorry to hear what you have been through, but note that you are a very strong woman. Perhaps sick right now, but you have the strength in you to get over this and eventually go back to your studies. Try simple broths of chicken, whatever kind you can tolerate....avoid teas, etc., until your stomach is better and only then after you eat. Otherwise, it will play with your stomach acid and digestion won't be as easy. Nutrition is very important in keeping up your strength...avoid all sugars and carbonation (sodas, etc.) and eat only pure foods until you get to doc. Even if you have to saute or boil soft carrots and nibble on them throughout the day....try to keep bland foods in diet. Your belly sounds quite inflammed so food can certainly irritate it. Maybe the broths can help you for a few days (drink throughout the day, warm, not hot and not cold). When you feel better, slowly add soft foods..baby foods, if necessary, as they can be quite bland and easy on belly . You are a survivor and can do this; you are only going through a rough patch. You have a wonderful, loving boyfriend who wants to be there for you; allow him. Appreciate him. This will be a small blip in your past one day.

Welcome to the forum Foxterier,

I'm sorry that your journey has been so rough health and personal wise and that you still have no diagnosis. I hope your new doctor can confirm or deny his CD suspicions so that you can get on a regiment of meds that can help you.

On a sidenote Omeprazol doesnt help with Lactose Intollerence because its not ment to.
Omeprazol just protects the stomach it doesnt help your intestines break down lactose.

To truly stop the symptoms a lactose free diet is required.
Yes there is a pil that can help you temporarily digest lactose but its not a cure and not ment to be taken daily. Its called, Keru-tabs or Disolact...you also have Disolact drops that can make milk and such lactose free....perhaps these have other names in your country but here in the Netherlands its what they are called.

Nowadays you have plenty of other options such as soy milk & products or lactose free milk & products that you can try....you also have plenty of other options to cook with etc...its just a question of reading the labels.

I know all of this because I am also Lactose Intollerant thanks to the CD and a bacteria wrecking havoc on my intestines and bowels.

I understand your fear of losing your boyfriend and i'm sorry your goverment is not helping you money wise untill your diagnosis. I just hope perhaps some small dietary changes such as Mickey stated can help you trough this rough patch untill the diagnosis.

If you need any more advice on what products to use dont hesitate to give a shout out...i'm happy to help.

Xx

Yanet

Mickey, I want to thank you so much. I didn't expect anybody to respond to my whining! Well at least not so fast :) Your diet tips are great, I searched for info and asked every doctor, what to do to ease everything for my stomach, but nobody helped. I just feel really lost in it, I can't always find out what did I do wrong. Today I read about importance of minerals and vitamins, I try supplement it by pills, but I frequently throw up right after I swallow them.

And thanks everybody else for support, sometimes that is all I need. Just to have a faith that someday maybe... :)

Hi, yc_angel, I didn't make myself clear, that happens to me frequently :D I stopped with dairy last year, I avoid even chocolate, cheese, yoghurt, just about everything that may have even walked around milk :) I still don't know, what are the odds of Crohn, but I would be happy even for this diagnosis. Better than no diagnosis at all... It's just that sometimes it's hard to keep hope. There are so many things to be done, on the other hand, there are so many things that happened and that I want to erase really bad. I am not pitiful all the time, I just don't know right now, if my life is any good. Everything I am is problems... And my boyfriend is sweet, but... he deserves better.

Hi everybody!

I just got a question: does anybody know about Crohn's support group discussing sanity? My sister just told me to kill myself (few days ago I yelled at my mother for being abusive in my childhood) and I just can't handle it from here... I am really exhausted because of the pain and health problems and this was just one too many... I've got therapist, but I'm unable to travel to his office and he doesn't provide phone consultations... :(

Artisan105

Yondaime
Hi everybody!

I just got a question: does anybody know about Crohn's support group discussing sanity? My sister just told me to kill myself (few days ago I yelled at my mother for being abusive in my childhood) and I just can't handle it from here... I am really exhausted because of the pain and health problems and this was just one too many... I've got therapist, but I'm unable to travel to his office and he doesn't provide phone consultations... :(
Your sister said what?!?! Please don't kill yourself. Your life is precious & wonderful. I am sorry you went through a rough childhood. My father was very abusive with me :( He hit me for no reason but never hit my older sister or younger brother. From my experience it is always a good idea to find someone you can confide in so as to talk over your problems with them. Find someone who is trustworthy and really cares for you. A best friend might work or maybe someone who lives near you who has Crohn's. I don't know if there is a support group near where you live, they are always helpful. Are you depressed in anyway? Are you taking any medicine for it like Zoloft? Anyways I am sorry once again you have to go through all of this. I will be praying for you. I am sure there are lots of people who would be willing to talk with you when you need help or just someone to chat with. I am here to help as well so just let me know :) Have a wonderful night.

Thanks so much, guys :) I just don't want to whine in the wrong place :) I am quite shy and hate to bother others, but you showed me something I never felt - support from people who KNOW :) I am grateful for all of you.

your never a bother. keep your chin up and check in on the forums whenever you want to chat. this forum even has its own chat room. try gummy vitamins they tend to work better for me than normal pills

I drink Hemp milk and found an organic Flax cereal...that is the sole ingredient. ..sort of like a puff type of cereal. It does take some time to figure out what works for you. I also found regular vitamins make me throw up or nauseous, so found food-based vitamins are only ones I can take. (Took me years to figure out that one). Dealing with the stress in your life is important for any disease.

You are speaking from being ill and that stress, rather than seeing how your boyfriend sees a beautiful woman (inside and out). You will find her one day, as you begin feeling better. Sometimes you have to walk from stress (i.e., family causing more stress) for a while before you can deal with people. That's okay; they're related and not really going anywhere soon. Focus on your health and what is healthy for you mentally and phsycially and it will help you recover. Consider yourself being your own parent and taking care of your body as you would an ill baby. Time and patience.

You are young and have so much yet to do. An abusive past can be somewhat empowering to propel you forward into throwing that behind and proving to others and yourself that you can overcome any hurdle sent your way. So, you have a big hurdle...jump it and leave the abuse mentally and physically behind you. If a relationship is not healthy (i.e, sister sounds like she needs some help), then you sometimes have to step back to it until you are healthy...nothing wrong with that! Feel better!