• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Desperate to Increase Energy Levels

I am a 41 year old mom of a nearly 2 year old toddler. Viral and bacterial infections seem to love me and something I pick up quite a lot. It causes my blood pressure to drop, iron levels and vomiting and makes the diarrhoea quite a bit worse.

I am desperate to increase my energy levels, also for the sake of my job, It is now the second week in a row where I have been booked off sick, my blood pressure was very low, I couldn't get out of bed. I don't think people really understand and probably think you pretend to be sick. I'm not a complainer, I just get on with things. I was at work once with iron levels of 3, my doctor called me and asked if I was still standing, I at that time had venofer infusions.

I am fortunate I have not had surgery for Crohn's, I stopped the immuno suppressive medication about 3 years ago it made me feel awful, so I am just on pentasa and take iron tablets daily. I am never symptom free though, I have my good and bad days.

I would be very happy to hear of any diet tips and decent supplements that actually help to increase energy levels in Crohn's patients. Especially for my son, I am desperate to stay well.

Hello Lianne,
I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Toddlers are tiring let alone with CD. My husband has recently started on Traditional Chinese Medicine. His main complaint was fatigue. The change in him has been quite amazing. He see's a Chinese Medicine Dr about once a month. He makes a soup\drink which he has once in the evening & sometimes once in the morning & evening. Another member 'basmah' is also using TCM & found some relief from fatigue. Hope you feel better soon.

I have had great success with Cholestryamine a bile reducer to help regulate my bowel, I have had major resections and nothing seemed to work for me, lack of eating to avoid attacks caused severe energy loss. The powder I take once daily has changed my life not only from a control standpoint but the ability to eat more foods and more frequently helped my energy levels. Before that I was giving myself a vitamin B12 shot bi-weekly. I no longer need the shot. I would ask your Dr. about it.

Hi there, after a bit of research on the internet I found that taking Siberian Ginseng three times a day has really helped me. It took around 2 weeks to kick in but I noticed my exhaustion came less often and I had a new lease on life! Make sure you get Siberian Ginseng as there are many types, also some cheaper brands often have no trace of the herb at all!

Lianne are you having regular blood tests to check on not just your iron but things like B12?

I would also suggest re-assessing your current meds with your Doctor. Maybe it would also be a good idea to do some bigger tests to see if your Crohn's is looking worse, if you haven't had them done recently.

There are things herbally which can help boost your immune system, always check with your Dr beforehand though. I take 1 Echinacea daily, add in a garlic pill during winter and Vitamin C when I do have a bug, along with 2-3 Echinace while sick.

I also use immodium when appropriate for very bad D and oral re-hydration powders when needed.

It is worth saying though that I am currently undiagnosed.

I second the opinion that it's important to make sure that your disease is as well under control as you can get it - as that has a big effect on energy levels plus it's the most important factor in your ultimate aim of staying well.

The only thing that I've ever taken where I noticed it increased my low energy levels was when I started Vitamin D3 supplements. I felt a more noticeable difference than I do after B12 injection or from taking Floradix (liquid iron supplement).

The other thing that we should always remember that has a big effect on anyone's energy levels is nutrition. Are you able to eat enough? And are you absorbing enough nutrition from that food? The eating enough seems obvious I know but I too often find that I've become too ill and am avoiding food to reduce symptoms, but resulting in such low energy levels. It's a vicious cycle.

I just saw this tag. I hope you are feeling better, Lianne. I have been undergoing Chinese medicine with acupuncture, herbal drink, and a diet with just cooked meats/eggs, leafy greens, carrots,,and some potato in soup form the majority of the time. I also take supplements such as iron, l-glutamine, Vitamin D (super important for anyone with IBD!), probiotics, and a multivitamin. It's been really beneficial for me, because I now know the biggest culprit was diet, nutrition. It could be helpful if you see a dietitician or even better a functional doctor, and try to do an elimination diet. You can see what foods trigger you. Also try some low intensity workouts like yoga or walking. It may be overwhelming at first, but It will make a whole world of a difference.