• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed 9 years ago. really lazy at first.

I was in college when i was diagnosed 9 years ago. I have never felt the pain that i felt when i first experienced it. I went to the ER and they told me i had heart burn, gave me zantac and sent me home. I went home, spent the next 2 days in bed or sleeping on the bathroom floor. I went back to the hospital and asked to get transferred. After my transfer the found that I have Crohns and Ulcerative Colitis.

At first I was serious about being on the meds and doing things right, I was 170 pounds when i was diagnosed, I dropped to 145 in a month. I later got really lazy about taking care of myself and doing the right things. I went on like that for years, weight fluctuation, on and off meds. Having a flare up here and there.

Last year everything caught up to me, I was in more pain than i have ever been, I was in and out of the hospital 4 different time in 3 months. I ended up getting surgery in January. It turned out that a piece of my intestine was actually broke off and stuck.

After my surgery I was really anemic and B-12 deficient. I also had been exposed to TB. I could not take any Pentasa while on my TB medication for 6 months. I noticed, while not on the Pentasa i started to gain weight pretty fast, I started taking it again 2 weeks ago and i have dropped 7 pounds already, is that normal? Although everything health wise is going better, I am still really fatigued all the time, even after my monthly B-12 shot and depression has been a big part of my life since my surgery.

I have been looking for a place to talk to other crohns victims. I really dont have that, even if its someone i am dating, they do not get it or think that i am using things like Fatigue or depression as a crutch. I do not think i am doing that. does anyone else seem to go through that?

Thank you for reading. I look forward to talking to everyone

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Pj :welcome: Glad you made your way here. You have had your share of problems, scary ones too. I think it is harder for guys too because they feel embarrassed and not campus talk. Finding MR or Mrs Right is hard enough but with this disease even harder. It took me a couple of tries but I found my hero and he helps me and supports me in every way.

Many young people here. Friday nights are usually crazy here...no life lol. Welcome aboard!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Welcome PJ! I am glad you have been feeling better lately and you are back on Pentasa. I am not too sure about that weight loss, so keep an eye on that. But as far as being tired, oh yes, I hear you on that. I used to be a go-go-go type person. Now, after the work day, I pass out on the couch as soon as I come home. However, your issues with B-12 are certainly adding to your fatigue. Have you considered one of the B12 nasal sprays? My mother used to get the shots, but found more success with the nasal spray. Just a suggestion...

Once again, welcome to the forum and I look forward to seeing you around!

Hello PJ and welcome to the forum...:)
I too am on Pentasa but so far I have not noticed any weight loss while taking the meds...
Fatigue is something I constantly work at......going for runs, walks , cycling....other wise i would just stay in bed...:)
Nice to read your story..
take care...

thanks guys, yea i am down 10 pounds in a little over 2 weeks on my Pentasa. I have always lost weight the minute i get back on my meds. I didn't even gain weight while on prednisone. its when i go off everything is when i gain my weight back. its odd