• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed and depressed, again

Hi there,
New to the forum. Hello!
I've suffered from depressive up and downs since I was a teen. After my first surgery related to Crohns, I hit my all time low. Went back to my therapist who explained that being diagnosed with a potentially lifelong illness is a direct causality of depression-- i didn't buy it. she gave me homework: Document how often Crohn's affects your life, on a day to day basis. I then realized that I was talking about Crohn's SO MUCH to friends and people i met. it has shown to be a life changer for me...proof of depression. I continue to struggle with embarrassment of the illness (when Crohns likes to show its face in the most inappropriate of situations).
I'm having a down day today...I can't help but think this diagnosis is going to affect my life in such negative ways- especially job changes when insurance is effected and the thought of traveling.
I'm on anti-depressants and anti-anxieties... prescribed before diagnosis. Pills are like a dud now
I haven't hit remission since surgery, which was Feb of this year so I'm hoping it's soon.

I'm a social worker. Dont make a lot of money. Dreams of doing much are shot cuz of medical expenses.

Looking for a pick-me-up. Any advice?

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome. I'm sorry you're having a rough go of it. Crohns is a nasty disease and it sure can mess with life.

I've had this disease most of my life. There are time when it gets the best of me. But generally I lead a full life.
This disease hasn't prevented me from doing anything I wanted to do. It just mean I need to make adjustments at times.

Don't give up on your dreams. Sending you my support and best wishes.

Hi there,
New to the forum. Hello!
I've suffered from depressive up and downs since I was a teen. After my first surgery related to Crohns, I hit my all time low. Went back to my therapist who explained that being diagnosed with a potentially lifelong illness is a direct causality of depression-- i didn't buy it. she gave me homework: Document how often Crohn's affects your life, on a day to day basis. I then realized that I was talking about Crohn's SO MUCH to friends and people i met. it has shown to be a life changer for me...proof of depression. I continue to struggle with embarrassment of the illness (when Crohns likes to show its face in the most inappropriate of situations).
I'm having a down day today...I can't help but think this diagnosis is going to affect my life in such negative ways- especially job changes when insurance is effected and the thought of traveling.
I'm on anti-depressants and anti-anxieties... prescribed before diagnosis. Pills are like a dud now
I haven't hit remission since surgery, which was Feb of this year so I'm hoping it's soon.

I'm a social worker. Dont make a lot of money. Dreams of doing much are shot cuz of medical expenses.

Looking for a pick-me-up. Any advice?
Having a chronic illness is kind of hard to omit from your daily life. It's a part of who you are now. As far as crushing your dreams, it doesn't necessarily have to be that way. Having a chronic illness can realistically affect your emotional well-being. Remember the term "Healthy body, Healthy Mind"? Illness is not necessarily the totality of your lows, but it can definitely contribute and there's nothing to be ashamed of. If our body is out of balance, our brain is usually too. It's about trying to find the balance in one's body and mind. Some people seem to be able to do it easily. Others, it's not as easy. I'm prone to bouts of lows, but I wouldn't necessarily label it depression since I'm not prone to periods of total elation either. For someone looking at social work, having an illness can give you some insight and knowledge another social worker might not have. Granted, it's not a desired requirement and I'm sure difficult to work through at times, but having life experience (good and bad) is all knowledge you can use in your field of choice.