• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed with C Diff

I have been in the hospital since Monday after having a fever of 104. While in the hospital I was diagnosed with C Diff after Drs prescribed me Cipro.
I am completely devastated as I alrdy suffer from Crohn's disease. They currently have me on Flagyl IV.
My question is will it be hard for me to get rid of this C Diff? I've been doing a lot if research and find it's hard for patients with IBD.
It seems like here lately I keep getting setbacks instead of feeling better. I am so upset, I have a 5 year old daughter and don't want her to catch this. We only have one bathroom at our house.
Should I ask my GI Dr to prolong my Flagyl prescription just to be sure my C Diff goes away?
Any advice is greatly appreciated as I am having a hard time dealing with C Diff and Crohn's...

I have been in the hospital since Monday after having a fever of 104. While in the hospital I was diagnosed with C Diff after Drs prescribed me Cipro.
I am completely devastated as I alrdy suffer from Crohn's disease. They currently have me on Flagyl IV.
My question is will it be hard for me to get rid of this C Diff? I've been doing a lot if research and find it's hard for patients with IBD.
It seems like here lately I keep getting setbacks instead of feeling better. I am so upset, I have a 5 year old daughter and don't want her to catch this. We only have one bathroom at our house.
Should I ask my GI Dr to prolong my Flagyl prescription just to be sure my C Diff goes away?
Any advice is greatly appreciated as I am having a hard time dealing with C Diff and Crohn's...

I dont like false hope, by training I am a scientist in the medical field (Bio Chemist). To answer your question the way i think you mean it..

yes C.Diff is going to complicate things, yes C.Diff and Crohns can be a nightmare. But it can be dealt with, do they have any idea where the Bacteria came from? They might fudge this, if its from the hospital then they are likely to deny that or be unhelpful with questions.

Did you go into hospital with it? or did you get it while in there? I ask because the better scenario is you got it from the hospital, although harder normally to treat, it does mean your own environment isnt a risk source.

If things dont improve in 5 days then give me a nudge, i have full research journal access, i am more than happy to see what the latest techniques and trials are around for your situation. You can then at least press your doctors to try them.

Dont expect Docotrs to be up on the latest and greatest, remember there is over 1000 relevant scientific journals, most publish once a month. So it simply isnt possible to read it all and do your job. because of my CD i do try and watch certain journals, i also work in the research field on it, so i tend to get upto date info passed to me.

I am only allowed to post the abstract of this, unless your a subscriber to the journal you have to pay for the full article.

Now read this part carefully

I am subscribed at work to just about every relevant journal that exists, I cannot share publicly papers i have access too unless they are open access. I can only share papers for the purpose of education or RESEARCH.
Now if you think this through and want to know more you know what to do.

this is the article abstract, i found it interesting and potentially worth a try without needing much medical help. I will disclose i found research that seems to debunk this paper, but i am inclined to believe the paper is correct but the experiment was a little flawed.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1018811331596

Tony H

after my op i got c diff and it took about 10 days to clear , its a nasty bug and the hospital were very proactive is clearing it , the head of the microbiology dept made sure I had the right antibiotics for the strain of c diff .

after my op i got c diff and it took about 10 days to clear , its a nasty bug and the hospital were very proactive is clearing it , the head of the microbiology dept made sure I had the right antibiotics for the strain of c diff .
That is UK policy, also was a hospital borne infection. I dont know where the OP lives so the information posted was more general.

in the UK we are lucky, in the last few years hospitals have stopped hiding from it, and yes the micro biologist and Bio Chem departments in the UK pull out all the stops with ALL hospital infections.

Unfortunately I have heard other countries with other systems are less likely to be so open, i would guess there are more complicated reasons for them to not be as pro active as the UK.

My son had c dificil last year. He was treated with flagyl for 2 weeks with no improvement then was added vancomycin for 2 additional weeks. Also he had a recurrence 2 months later and was treated with flagyl for 4 weeks. If you're not on probiotics I would ask for that. Did you have an infectious disease md see you while in the hospital? Hope you are feeling better soon!

My son had c dificil last year. He was treated with flagyl for 2 weeks with no improvement then was added vancomycin for 2 additional weeks. Also he had a recurrence 2 months later and was treated with flagyl for 4 weeks. If you're not on probiotics I would ask for that. Did you have an infectious disease md see you while in the hospital? Hope you are feeling better soon!
I got the C Diff at the hospital after being given Cipro for a minor UTI. I am now on vancomycin and will ask if I can take Florastor with it. Thank you and I hope your son is better as this is a hard infection

I will hopefully be in a position to explain why I think yeast might work better, but unlikely to be before tomorrow. My withdrawal is pretty bad today so thinking is really hard.

I was just diagnosed with c diff as well. I am not sure where I got it from because I have not been to the hospital. I am now on a 2 week course of vancomycin as well. Hoping it clears up soon.