• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed with Crohn's in 1982

Diagnosed while pregnant in 1982. Currently on Humira, mostly because of arthritis. Last episode about 4 years ago. Another one should happen in a year as it seams to flare about every 5 years. Have had iritis in the past. Now my stomach expands 4 or more inches at any given time. Just came off imuran. Just joined the Forum today. This is a great forum!

Last edited:

David

Co-Founder
Hi SDS and welcome to the community.

You mention the stomach expansion. Have you ever been tested for small intestine bacterial overgrowth? And when was the last time they did any imaging studies to see what the extent of your disease is and to check for stricturing?

All my best to you.

About two years ago I had a MRI, to make sure there was no blockages, my Dr suggested high doses of antibiotics, but if I need antibiotics in the future, they may not work as I would have built up a resistance to antibiotics. So, at the moment, with taking Humira, I opted not to go with that option. However, it is becoming quite uncomfortable, so I may rethink my decision. I have colonoscopies every year now and I have a lot of scaring.

This has bee going on for almost three years, and it was my GI who did the MRI and suggested the antibiotics.

He did not mention that, just said we could try the antibotics. After you mentioned the small intestine bacterial over growth, I looked it up and I do have a lot of the symptoms, low B-12 and iron especially, so I think I may make an appointment with GI and explore further. Thanks David! Susan

Tried antibotics - did not help. Since then I have had constant diarrhea. My doctor says that even though my Crohn's is not active at the moment my intestines may not be absorbing bile so he put me on Olestyr - Cholestyramine for Oral Suspension USP - that has helped with the Diarrhea. Not sure how to stop the bloating though!