• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed with Crohn's in May, then Asperger's 2 days ago.

As if my life wasn't eventful enough in the past, it seems at every moment there's another dramatic twist. I've been reading about a possible connection between Crohn's and Asperger's. May 21, 2011, I was diagnosed with Crohn's, and began my journey to getting on SSI disability. The state finally got me a physical dr. and a psychiatric dr. It was the appointment with the psychiatric Dr. that completely blew my mind with his question, "Do you know what Asperger's is, and do you think you have it?"

I responded "Yes I know what Asperger's is and no I don't think I have it... wait do I? I don't know how I could possibly self-diagnose myself if I did."

Then after reading about all the information about Asperger's the last couple days, I've more or less confirmed that I probably do have it. I do a lot of things compulsively like playing piano and video games. I don't look people in the face when I talk to them very much, and all my relationships with girls fall apart quickly. I feel like a mess of a person who thought he had everything figured out, and then suddenly realized he had nothing figured out.

So yeah, Crohn's an Asperger's. Also, I'm of Jewish decent. Looking at that side of my family, there seems to be a probable history of both conditions having gone undiagnosed.

Also, my Gastroenterologist wanted to put me on Prednisone this month, but after telling him I was likely suffering from depression he decided to hold off. I'll probably be going on it soon, if I don't go into remission. I took Amoxicillin 3 times a day for a couple weeks, and that helped me a little. I stopped taking it though because at a certain point it was doing nothing. I've also been avoiding taking Mesalamine when at all possible because I have a fear of overmedicating myself.

I smoke a lot of pot sometimes. It helps me with my pain. It takes my mind off of difficult things, and helps me to enjoy playing Battlefield 3 or strategy games on my computer.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome. Boy, you've had a lot to digest recently (no pun intended). It's no wonder you may be struggling with some depression. Have you thought about speaking with someone to help work this this tough time?

So, you are not taking any treatment for your Crohn's at the moment? I know many people don't like the idea of taking medication (I don't either), but with Crohn's, it pretty much comes with the territory. Don't fear the Mesalamine drugs; they are very mild and rarely cause side effects. If I were you, I'd give them a try in hopes to avoid my disease progressing and needing stronger medication in the future.

Hello and welcome to the forum..:)
I take Pentasa and it is quite ok to take...I am still active and was not keen on taking meds either... but my CD was so limiting to me that I just had to go with the flow...:)
Tobacco can be a trigger for some Crohn's patients as can alcohol.
Have you looked at any other way of taking the pot Evan?

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the forum!
Then after reading about all the information about Asperger's the last couple days, I've more or less confirmed that I probably do have it. I do a lot of things compulsively like playing piano and video games. I don't look people in the face when I talk to them very much, and all my relationships with girls fall apart quickly.
Based upon that, I'd have been diagnosed with Aspergers at certain times of my life and I certainly do not. I feel like Aspergers is one of those conditions that are being way over diagnosed like IBS, Fibomyaligia, and others instead of doctors working to get to the root of the problem.

I play video games because they're fun. You guys won't see me for two weeks once Diablo III comes out.
I played baseball compulsively because I loved it.
I didn't look people in the face because I wasn't confident/was shy/had other emotional things I had to deal with.
My relationships would fall apart because I was immature.

Is it possible you have Asperger's? Sure. But my suggestion would be not to let someone pideonhole you into a diagnosis like that based upon a weak connection with Crohn's.

All my best to you :)