• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed with Crohns today

Hello everyone. I have been lurking around the site for the last couple of weeks ever since my doctor mentioned I had the symptoms consistent with Crohns.

I have had symptoms for many years but had never heard of Crohns until I was put in the hospital with an obstruction which required emergency surgery. After researching Crohns, I am sure I have had Crohns for at least the last 10-12 years. A colonoscopy revealed severe "damage." I was started on Pentasa about a month ago immediately after the colonoscopy. Today I got the official diagnosis of Crohns.

I have been in the Army for 16 years and was afraid I would not be able to stay in with Crohns. At this point I am able to stay in as long as medication offers some relief of my symptoms. Pentasa has not worked for me so I am starting Prednisone and being ween onto Azathioprine over a 4 week period. If this works I am good to go as far as the Army goes. I can just take the medications with me if I have to deploy (again). If I have to receive Remicade, I will have to be discharged.

So thats my story.:)

Good luck. It's good to have a diagnosis though. It gives you something that you have the name of to beat.

Best of luck to you I hope that you don't need intravenous medications.

hi Joe, welcome to the forum :)

it's a shame you suffered so long before getting to the point where you needed surgery. but it's always a turning point to find out exactly what your condition is - no more wondering.. and you can now get exactly the right care, meds, treatment & advice that you need. good luck with the meds, i hope they calm things down for you.

I

Isla

I am so glad you got the diagnosis... finally! I am sure a part of you feels relieved to hear the news! Welcome to the forum glad that you de-lurked yourself.

Kev

Hey GI Joe. Welcome to the forum. Glad you dropped the camo. Listen, I usually don't go out on a limb like this, try to bombard folks with what worked for me, but if it comes to the point that Remicade seems your only option, meaning goodbye to your career.. FIGHT, really FIGHT, to get them to trial you on LDN first. It might not work in your case, but it will give you a good fighting chance to have it all, OK?

N

Nick

Welcome to Crohn's club mate:)

Really interested how your Armed Forces treat people with Crohn's (I'm assuming that you are US Army?).

I'm in the Royal Air Force, on azathioprine (getting weened off preds) and I've been medically downgraded, basically I can't leave the UK base area so can't deploy. You fellas still can then?

To be honest I've got a year left of a 22 year engagement so I'm not to bothered that I can't deploy again.

Good luck.

According to my doctor, as long as oral meds work for me, I can still deploy. If they don't work and I require IV treatments such as Remade, In the US Army, if you are found to be permanently non-deployable, you cannot remain on duty.I will have to appear before a medical review board that will decide if I can remain on duty, get separated or get medically retired. I have been in 16 years so most likely I would get medically retired. This means I could draw my retirement pay and maintain my medical insurance but I want to remain on duty until at least 20 years.

Kev said:
Hey GI Joe. Welcome to the forum. Glad you dropped the camo. Listen, I usually don't go out on a limb like this, try to bombard folks with what worked for me, but if it comes to the point that Remicade seems your only option, meaning goodbye to your career.. FIGHT, really FIGHT, to get them to trial you on LDN first. It might not work in your case, but it will give you a good fighting chance to have it all, OK?
Thanks for the advice. Trust me, after 16 years in the Army, I will not go without a fight. Four more years and I can fully retire with all my benifits. This was a huge concern for me when I first learned about Crohns. From my research, in most cases people with Crohns are normally discharged. Luckily, I have a doctor that is willing to work with me.

Kittee said:
Welcome to the boards...

Why is it you would be discharged if you got on Remicade?
In order to stay in the Army, I must be able to deploy at all times. When I deploy, it would not be practical for me to have to go to the doctor for an treatment every so often and Remicade would normally not be available in a combat zone so special arrangements would have to be made for that. In remote locations, such as Afghanistan the assets available to take me to get a Remicade treatment would not be worth the expense. In Afghanistan, getting me to a hospital would require a helicopter or driving across the country putting people in unnecessary risk for just one person. The helicopter or vehicles/personnel would be taken off their missions and exposed to enemy attacks. It would just not be practical and I would not want to be a burden on my fellow Soldiers. I hope this makes some sense.