• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed with Fistula...noooo

I'm back on the forum guys, for those that may remember my posts from a year or so back!!

Just found out today that I have a fistula connecting my anastomosis in my small bowel to my rectum. This was missed by my colonoscopy a month ago, and was discovered from a small bowel follow through on Wednesday morning.

My GI dr. wants to put me back on Humira, which I just stopped taking 3 months ago due to a severe CMV (cytomegalovirus) infection.

I am starting an accelerated RN program on Monday, and since I'll have frequent clinical hours, I'm scared that being back on Humira will cause me to develop another infection since as a nursing student I'll be around many sick people. But i'm also scared that if I don't have surgery or humira to treat the fistula, it will cause an abscess. I've never had a fistula before...

Help! Any advice or support would be so appreciated right now.... :(

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi. I'm afraid I can't help with advice but you definitely have my support. I hope this gets sorted out quickly.

nogutsnoglory

I'm back on the forum guys, for those that may remember my posts from a year or so back!!

Just found out today that I have a fistula connecting my anastomosis in my small bowel to my rectum. This was missed by my colonoscopy a month ago, and was discovered from a small bowel follow through on Wednesday morning.

My GI dr. wants to put me back on Humira, which I just stopped taking 3 months ago due to a severe CMV (cytomegalovirus) infection.

I am starting an accelerated RN program on Monday, and since I'll have frequent clinical hours, I'm scared that being back on Humira will cause me to develop another infection since as a nursing student I'll be around many sick people. But i'm also scared that if I don't have surgery or humira to treat the fistula, it will cause an abscess. I've never had a fistula before...

Help! Any advice or support would be so appreciated right now.... :(
Unfortunately you are in a bit of a catch 22. Do you think Humira contributed to you getting that infection? It's possible with the suppression. I think it's better to risk some infections rather than let the disease go rampant. I find the immunosuppressive meds get me sick far more than the biologics.

Have you done Remicade yet? It was more effective at treating my fistulas. Humira did nothing.

You are in a bit of a pickle, but I would go with the drugs, be extra paranoid about hand washing and wear a face mask if need be.