• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed with Microscopic Colitis

When my Mother died in November 2005 I mysteriously had diarrhea for 2-3 weeks. Everytime I ate or drank anything, it went right through me. It didn't matter what it was. As that time, I had been put on a new cholesterol med which I was convinced was causing it, went off of it immediately, took Citrucel and the diarrhea stopped completely. Then, on April 13, 2013, my husband and I went to Red Lobster for our anniversary and I've had the diarrhea ever since. I'm not saying it was from Red Lobster, just seems that is when it started. I had my primary care doctor send me for a stool sample test to rule out infection-which was ruled out. My next stop, I went to my Gastroenterologist, he performed a colonscopy and from a biopsy diagnosed me with Microscopic Colitis.

My hubby and I recently went on a vacation and I had the prescription medication Lomotil to take, if the pepto didn't work, which it didn't. What I've discovered is that when I eat, I need to stay close to a bathroom for 30-90 mins., because this is when I can most likely have an incident.

Someone said that David has a diet to follow. I would love it if you share the diet with me David. I really want to do everything I can to help myself. Ken and I do eat a lot of chicken, so maybe that's the culprit. So glad to join this forum and have fellow sufferers to talk to!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum. Are you taking any other medications besides Lomotil? Lomotil is more for symptom control than to get the actual illness & inflammation under control. If you get the illness itself under control, you may find you don't even need Lomotil anymore. I'm in remission and I can't even remember the last time I had to take Lomotil, but I used to take it all the time too.

I'm not sure that there's a specific diet that David has recommended - I know that he eats as much organic, home-grown things as he can. He has a farm and raises his own chickens and things like that. I think generally speaking he would advise cutting out all the chemicals and processed stuff and to just eat the best organic whole foods you can. (David, please correct me if I'm wrong!)

We have a microscopic colitis sub-forum here, which you might want to check out.
http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=258

Cat-a-tonic

Thanks for being so kind in replying to me.
I was just diagnosed May 23rd, and the lomotil was just given to me in case the pepto didn't work. The only med my Doc told me to take was 2 pepto bismol-3 times a day, morning, afternoon and night. He told me to eat a High Fiber diet, which includes salads, fruit and veggies.
I'm also taking 3 fiber supplements 3 times a day.
I will go look at the microscopic colitis forum!

Thanks, David.

It seems that mine was getting better for about five days and then a few stressful things were coming up and it's back with a vengeance.
Do you ever have periods of remission?