• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosis: microscopic colitis? Crohns?

Hello,
I'm new *waves*, and very happy to have found this forum, as I've been feeling very isolated.
I've had GI symptoms for years - mostly recurrent diarrhoea, abdominal pain - and told I had IBS.
A year and a half ago I had severe diarrhoea that last months - no diagnosis, told IBS again.
It more or less went away, and then this summer, same thing: lasted longer this time, from about June to November. And I was much sicker generally - dehydrated, vitamin deficiencies, and then started getting severe abdominal pains. This was reduced almost instantly with esomeprazole (I'm guessing I had some ulcers), but diarrhoea continued. It took so many months to get in to the gastroenterologist that by the time I was there, the diarrhoea was almost gone and so was the abdominal pain (and there was no sign of ulcers then).
I also get regular joint pain in my hips, knees, elbows.
I finally had endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy last month, and news just in from biopsies that I have microscopic colitis.
I'm actually wondering with all the symptoms etc if I might have Crohn's disease? Is it possible to have that as well as microscopic colitis? Should I try to get them to do a full colonoscopy also, which hasn't been done?
Symptoms-wise, I'm not as bad as I was months ago, but I'm not well either.
Advice very much appreciated! At the moment, my gastroenterology appointment isn't until March. I'm debating if I should try to get in earlier.
Also not sure if I should try to stop taking the esomeprazole, as online it says it may aggravate microscopic colitis.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would call your doctor and ask if there are any cancellations if they could pencil you in sooner. Let us know what happens.

my little penguin

Staff member
I would try to get a full colonscopy since a sigmoidoscopy looks at very little of the colon and none of the small bowel