• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diarrhea after my reversal.

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
I had a reversal 4 months ago and I've ben having "D" for about 2 months now. It started out with "D" for the first month and then calmed down for a bit (2 weeks) and then back to 5-7 BM's a day. I have joint pain also. Is this normal for this to happen?

I have heard from many people that this is common; however, I don't know much about it personally. Bumping this up for more exposure so others who have experience with this can help you.

Terriernut

Hi Jim! I remember you talking about not being on any meds. Unfortunately if you aren't, crohns can rear it's ugly head again.

If you havent spoken to your GI about this, I sure would. Meanwhile, try pysillium husks (sp?) and see if that doesnt help you a bit.

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Thanks Terrienut, I have a appt. on Dec. 11th. It has taken me about a month to get the Dr. to see me. My joints hurt also so I think the crohns are coming back. The last 2 days have been good, the first time in about 2 months. But I have to say that about 2 months ago I stopped taking my Norco and valium cold. I had some bad withdraws from that and some of the "D" could be from that foe sure. I didn't want to stop that way, I wanted to tapper but it didn't work for me. I had taken them for over 4 years. I needed help so I went to the hospital and they helpped me get off of them. I'm glad I did but I think I am paying for it. I never took more than the Dr. Rx. but I was taking 50-60mg Norco and 15mg of valium. It puts your body through alot when you stop it al of a sudden. Thats for sure. I hope I never need them again. One thing I don't like is when I tell people about coming off of pain meds and valium they always think that I'm a DRUG ADDICT. Not true. I needed them because of having 3 major operations and the Dr. would not let me come off of them because I went down to 18lbs and he said that it would not be safe to stop till I was healthy again and up to around 160lbs. And thats what I did when I reached 160lbs. I get so tired of explaing myself to people, like the receptionist at the GI. I told her about this to try and explaine why I MIGHT have "D" and the first thing she said is, "The Dr. is not going to give you any pain meds" Man I came unglued and told her off. I DON"T want them and told her that she should not tell me what the Dr. is going or not going to do and to not treat people like DRUG ADDICTS. She still didn't get it. ooooo well some people don't understand I guess.

Terriernut

:hug: Jim, I'm thinking the pain meds were 'stopping' you up, they are known to have that effect.

As for the receptionist, I think I'd give her the cold shoulder from now on! After all with a crohn's diagnosis, you should be seen quickly...and her opinion is not wanted!

I think the Dr should be putting you on maintenance meds such as Imuran or 6MP.

I hope you get the help you need and get back on track.

My gastro doctor said I would be on antibiotic for about 3months as this helps reduce reoocurance of crohn's?!? If there is no Crohn's found when they rejoined me I will probably be off most med, but I was warned that I would probably have the big 'D' so might be on loperimide/ Imodium long term. I was also very worried about being on Oxicodone and had a bit of an issue with a hospital nurse issuing the wrong dose when I left hospital... I just got off it ASAP but may need to go back on it for a while with my reversal.

Take care

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
MsOJ, if I were you I would try to stay off the pain meds at all cost if you can. I took Norco for over 5 years and when I stopped it shocked my body and my crohns flaired for a while. Besides that It is NO FUN to be hooked on them at all. I was taking 5-6 a day for 5 +years and near the end I was having a very hard time staying at that dose. I wouldn't take more than 6 so I was "JONESING" inbetween my dose. NOT FUN AT ALL. I was also hooked on valium and came off them and that was even worse than the Norco Please don't take them long term. They are the hardest drug in the world to come off and I should know, over my life time I have tryed almost everything and valium are harder than any st. Drug if you ask me. Just saying from experience. When I got off all the drugs I said that I would try to help ANYONE stay off of them beause of the hard time I had when stopping them.

I was on Oxicodone for a month after surgery (2 weeks in hospital then 2 weeks at home) then I stopped and would grumble also with just Paracetamol but my GP was more than happy to keep prescribing it and no one else was monitoring anything. It's only because of what I've heard in the press about that drug why I wanted to be off it so quickly... I was given no other warning!! I think the UK is quite a way behind the rest of the world in publicising the addiction risks of these types of drugs!!!