• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diarrhea from iron supplements

Hi All,

Does anyone else get diarrhea, cramps and mucus from taking iron supplements? I know it sounds odd as iron supps usually cause constipation. For some reason, I am getting the opposite.

My iron stores are low and I have been advised to take some iron supplements. I have tried Feramax which is supposed to be super gentle however I got cramps and diarrhea from it. I have also taken one that is compounded at the pharmacy and it causes diarrhea, cramps and mucus.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good quality iron supplement that does not cause GI upset? The doctor recommended Proferrin but I have not tried it yet.

thanks!

I have a question too if u don't mind I borrow ur thread.

I'm also having diarrhea and I only eat one small portion of porridge a day. Which made me so weak to even walk for a short distance.

Can ORS aka oral rehydration salts sachet help me? Or any other ways to recover my energy so I can walk longer?

Thanks.