• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diarrhoea and back pain

Last night I was awoken by a sharp pain in my lower back. I thought I was going to mess the bed because a sudden urge to go to the toilet hit. But when I got there I didn't need to go so went back to bed.

A short while later it happened again. This time I sat on the toilet with a book and sure enough, in a few minutes horrendous diarrhoea ensued. The cramps and gas bubbles in my back were almost unbearable. When I finally finished going, my back felt fine again.

I have been absolutely fine since, so am putting it down to something I ate (too many Easter eggs!). But while I was talking to my boyfriend, I mentioned about my back aching because I needed the toilet. He said 'you mean your bum' so I said no, I definitely meant my back.

I thought it was normal to have pain in your back when you had diarrhoea? I have always had it, as long as I can remember, and that is how I know if I am going to do a normal poo or diarrhoea.

Now my question is, is it me or my boyfriend that is the strange one? Does anyone else get back pains when they need to go?

I do, opposite of were my stomach hurt, to be honest first thing in morning normal good 2-5 times before 10 am. ~I am woke 5am due stupid idiot(partner) can not get up to save his life.

My backache is really irregular, so I can't offer much advice. Some days it's horrid, and I dont know wether on those days, the inflammation is worse, but that's my guess. Because at times, pain radiates from bowel to back, but iv had back pain, so sore it hurt just to walk. My GI said with crohns, due to inflamation, back ache is normal. But I have had it relieved with a bout or two of diarrhea as well, so those days, I think whatever food is in my large/small intestine, is making the inflamed areas worse, and as it comes out, the intestines can rest, hence no back pain. I'm just guessing, but if it continues, ask you GI. I think any new symptoms should be told to at least a GP. Best wishes xo

This isn't a new symptom- it is something I have had ALL my life! As a child, if I gad a tummy bug or ate something that gave me the runs I would get back ache with it. But I will mention it to my GI (going in a few weeks).

Astra

Hiya Rebecca, hope you're doing ok?
I don't get back pain as such, it's my thighs! God they hurt when I've got the trots! And I've had this since I was knee high to a slug!
So I'm off to Google it!

Back pain and D yes all the time. For me its the sign to get to the loo. The back pain remains for about 20 minutes afterwards. I asked my doc about this and he said it was spasms in the lower bowel that cause it. It can be worse depending on what i eat so i have change d my diet some what to help. I find eating rice is fairly safe and keeping hydrated is very important.

Yes, I often find that lower back pain is a signal for me to get to the loo but it doesn't happen every time I need to go, mostly when it is quite a "fast" movement (explosion!). Sometimes the pain can stick around for 10 minutes afterwards but mostly it is relieved after I relieve myself - no pattern!

I also used to get shooting pains in my thighs right before a bad movement, thankfully as I've gotten better it's gone away, weird huh?

Hi Rebecca I get awful pain in my lower back around where my kidneys are, that's how I know that Iam in for a bad spell of diarrhoea. So Your no strange at all!! if this makes You strange tI thought it was normal to have pain in your back when you had diarrhoea? I have always had it, as long as I can remember, and that is how I know if I am going to do a normal poo or diarrhoea.

then it means that I to am also strange!! LOL!!

Last edited:
It can be a bit confusing but your kidneys are actually quite high up.
Lower back is - lumbar junction, bowel and bladder.
You could have multiple problems if you do has an IBD.
I get lower back pain too, but after the tests I had done... My back is forever gone.
Maybe tell your doctor about it just in case