• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diarrhoea for 6 days. No other symptoms. What is going on?

So I woke up on Monday and the world fell out of my backside and it has been happening ever since. Only way to stop it (temporarily) is with Immodium. Then once that wears off it starts again

I've never had the runs for more than a day or two ever so this is quite alarming.

I feel fine, no pain, nothing. Anyone else experienced this? Could it be a GI infection? or maybe some sort of food poisoning?

I have Crohn's of the small bowel, so usually i suffer from cramps and pain and even vomiting. Never this

I will add the day before it began I had some chicken at a restaurant I've never been to before. Other than that my diet was the same old bland safe foods I usually have

If it is diarrhea only I would suspect it is an infection of some sort. I have found sometimes that alcohol can do this too. It generally seems that something upsets my bowel bacteria and it needs time to recover. Probiotics, maybe some yogurt and time should likely take care of it. Hope it settles soon.

It could be a stomach bug. They can last more than just two or three days. They can even last a week. That's the hard part of Crohn's is determining if it is a stomach bug or Crohn's. If you have not changed anything in your diet, and it continues for a few more days, I would contact your GI. Sometimes foods that have not bothered us in the past, can start bothering you at some point in time. That has happened to me. You know your body the best.

Bufford

Sounds like food poisoning, chicken is one of those meats that can become very toxic when it goes off. It can take several days for the body to recover, and CD will complicate things. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids to replace those lost through diarrhea.

Update - I'm pretty much back to normal now my GP thinks it was food poisoning. Sent a stool sample off but still waiting for the results. I had diarrhea for a total of 11 days though, that's a new record for me

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Sounds like food poisoning, chicken is one of those meats that can become very toxic when it goes off. It can take several days for the body to recover, and CD will complicate things. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids to replace those lost through diarrhea.
I second the food poisoning. But, thankful to hear that you're pretty much back to normal!!!

So once again I got acute diarrhea last week, it was aggressive for 6 days and still isn't back to normal now on day 8. They now believe this is a result of my infliximab infusions which have caused a bacterial overgrowth, I'm being taken off it.

Feels pretty bad. I've already tried every all the main treatments, Humira, Aza etc nothing has helped me. Infliximab I had high hopes for, but after 4 infusions it has made my life a misery. I've had 3 bowel obstructions and 2 cases of accute diarrhea since being on it. I hadn't experienced either of those for at least 2 years!

What is next in the limited line of Crohn's treatments?

Scipio

You may be a candidate for either Entyvio or Stelara. They are newer biologics. Unlike Infliximab and Humira they are not targeted on TNF, but interrupt the over-active immune system in other ways. Has your doc mentioned those as possibilities?

You may be a candidate for either Entyvio or Stelara. They are newer biologics. Unlike Infliximab and Humira they are not targeted on TNF, but interrupt the over-active immune system in other ways. Has your doc mentioned those as possibilities?
No I haven't heard of those, to be honest I'm completely fed up of these drugs that mess with my immune system. No good has come from any of them. They are talking about surgery now and removing a stricture

Bufford

I am not a fan of the chemical meds, and have found that alternatives and diet can go a long ways to keep things balanced into remission. Also controlling stress for me is a big part of keeping things level.

I am not a fan of the chemical meds, and have found that alternatives and diet can go a long ways to keep things balanced into remission. Also controlling stress for me is a big part of keeping things level.
I agree. I was getting by ok with a disciplined diet. But of course I always get ideas that I can get into remission and be normal again...so I try a new medication, then this sort of thing happens time an time again