• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diarrhoea with a stoma?

It's nearly two months now since Li'l Stinky and I met, and I was just starting to feel a little more confident about our relationship. The output was starting to thicken up a bit (I am taking 8 Gastro Stop or Loperamide a day) and look a bit more "normal", and I thankfully haven’t had any leaks lately.

Until last night. Did my usual pre-bedtime bag empty procedure, output was small and a very watery, with a lot of gas. And during the evening last night while watching TV, I could feel the output from the stoma was small but frequent and “sputtery”.

Since then I had to get up at 11:30pm, 1 am, and now again at 5am to empty bag, very "puffed up" each time with lots of gas, and about 1/3 full of very thin, light yellowish liquid. Very reminiscent of diarrhoea in appearance except I don’t have the "rushing urge" to poop. In fact the last two times I woke, the bag was just about at bursting point with pressure.

Can only think that I ate something yesterday which upset my digestion, could've been the can of Heinz pumpkin soup I had for lunch, the "long-life" lactose-free milk I had for breakfast, or even the piece of fish I grilled for dinner.

So here I am asking for advice again! Any ideas on what could've caused this? Is it a big problem? And how I should I treat it?

Thanks, Gra

I became dehydrated last night for the first time in almost a year due to high output yesterday. My husband and I ate the same things throughout the day, but he had no trouble. I still am not sure what caused it. I was pretty ill last night just from dehydration, but am doing much better now after drinking Gatorade, eating a lot of potatoes and other salty things.

Try to eat starchy foods like potatoes, pasta or bread to help yourself today, along with fluids that have electrolytes, and of course drink water. Take it easy and rest if you can.

Sometimes it just happens is the best thing I can offer. I don't know...

nogutsnoglory

The best way to know if you have diarrhea is to get a measuring container from your pharmacy and empty in it each time then flush and record the output. Anything over 1,000 ml is likely abnormal and if it's significantly over its diarrhea.

I am currently facing this problem and hate measuring but need to keep track.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Gra. Sometimes it just happens. You are still in the healing stage and things change. Make sure you're taking in enough fluids. Try the BRAT diet for a few days to see if it helps (bananas, rice, apple sause, and toast).

Nyx

I have a colostomy (so my stool is formed and like 'normal') and was sooo surprised the first time I had diarrhea with my stoma...I didn't even realize it was happening till I was sitting on my couch thinking I was having just gas. Well, that turned into a big mess when I went to burp my bag and realized that it wasn't air...lol Prior to my surgery, I always knew when the big D was coming - upset tummy, that "hot" feeling in my belly, and of course the urgency. I don't get any of that now. It's kind of weird.

annawato

Staff member
Gra it sounds like just a lot of gas for some reason - something you ate? plus a lot of bile which can be anything from yellow to greenish to even blackish (in my experience anyway). Maybe the fish was a little off? The main thing is to make sure you don't get dehydrated - follow DJW's brat diet and 2thys ideas and things should improve. Also don't gulp drinks, sip slowly so the bowel can absorb it as it goes thru.

2thy I hope you are feeling better now. Did you have any nausea with it or just an increased output on top of your already large output?

NGNG, my output is regularly over 2 litres. I guess the important thing is for people to take note of what is not normal for them and then take measures to prevent dehydration.
I do tend to drink a lot during the day so that probably contributes to it.

Anna--I had no symptoms of a stomach bug, just large volume output throughout the day. The nausea didn't happen until after I was clearly dehydrated. I'm fine now. Just one of those things, I guess.

nogutsnoglory

Anna I read that water shouldn't increase output because it just comes out mostly in urine.

I'm on 3 anti-diarrhea drugs and still can't get the output down much. I'm hoping this will pass but I'll speak to my GI. It doesn't seem normal with the amount of drugs and binding diet im eating.

PsychoJane

It happens... for reason I can't explain. Sometimes it is certain food on an empty stomach: cider, grape juice, fruit punch, coffee. If I ingest no food prior, it drains out quick... but there is no ill feeling with these occurrence.

Real diarrhea comes with the gas, and rushy output. Stomach flu, traveller diarrhea --> frequent bag emptying and prayer for no mess.

It just feel the same as when I take the prep for pill cam... Gastrolyte is like it. Miralax remains fine...

I usually switch to a chicken and noodle regimen when this happens...

annawato

Staff member
2thy I'm glad you are feeeling better now. I think amitriptyine helps me with lowering output but it could just be time. Food is the main thing to slow it down. Brat and all the rest. But I did have a huge output the other day for no particular reason. I certainly do pee more often now than in the beginning so am absorbing more fluid. In the beginning I hardly wee'd at all so it must have all come thru the bag.
Alcohol definitely increases the output. And apparently the ideal liquid for absorption is the water/salt/sugar and citrus mix. (recipe in sticky about good info for you).
Give it a little time ngng, it will settle down.

Gra, how are you feeling today? Has it settled down? Hope you are feeling well now.

:heart: anna

The gastro stop u should empty the powder out of the capsule I put it in the medimucil and drink it that way or with water with a dash of fruit juice.. Suppose to help the body absorb it better. It doesn't help me but may help u..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk