• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Did someone say Probiotics?

That's very encouraging news. I used to get the trots almost every time I had to take an antibiotic. Acidophilus always helped me get my gut chemistry back in balance pretty quickly. Same thing here, just different bacteria. my experience with acidophius was, of course, prior to losing a chunk of gut. Nothing seems to help with big d when it comes from short bowel syndrome.

Kev

Hey Mike, GREAT FIND!!! Now, all we have to do is move to Alberta.. eh, maybe not... (OK, Albertans, just kidding.. not everyone wants to move out West..yet) Shame that it's still only in trials, and not considered medicine so no coverage under a Health plan... Go figure... 1/2 the people trialed gained remission, but if untreated, they'd have continued to need ongoing medical care & treatment (cost of that Vs the cost of covering probiotics - wonder who the math genius is that the government uses to explain that conundrum)... Anyway, I'm going to increase my intake of probiotics I'll just take the funds from my restaurant budget

S

Skinsfan1229

I take probiotics, acidiphillus, and digestive enzymes everyday. I can see a dramatic change, especially in ostomy flow, indigestion, bloating, and dairy.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
My question has always been that if my body is attacking the bad bacteria and going haywire, wouldn't good bacteria still trigger a response? Bacteria is bacteria, right? Wrong? I just assumed everyone knew what they were talking about and just put that lingering doubt out of my mind.

S

Skinsfan1229

The theory is that the good bacteria will overrun the bad and therefore there will be no room for the bad bacteria to attach to the waalls of your intestines, affecting the inflammation levels, bringing them lower.