• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Did your small fistula heal on its own?

Did your small perianal fistula heal on its own (without additional intervention)?

• No

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Yes, after more than 6 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, after less than 6 months

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • In the case of multiple fistulas: one or more healed *but* one or more did not.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Hi, all

A little informal data gathering request. If you have had a small perianal fistula (or more than one), did it heal on its own?

Reason: I have a small perianal fistula. My GI has suggested we wait a little longer to see if it heals on its own (before exploring treatment options). I have been on Imuran 150 mg since late December. I'm aware that it's relatively uncommon for a fistula to heal on its own in Crohn's, but it *is* small...? Thanks so much!

I get these nasty little beasts at least twice a year, and have been for the past four or so years. The *minute* I see/feel one emerging, I start hot compressing the fistula at least three to four times a day. I then call my GI and he puts me on antibiotics immediately. The hot compressing allows the fistula to 'open' and start draining. The antibiotics help to close it when it's done draining and prevent the fistula and any abscesses (which eventually form) from getting infected.

I've had no other form of intervention on any of my perianal fistulas, and they've all gone on their merry way within a few weeks. But ouch, they're painful while they hang out.

I hope you get some relief soon. Even when they're small, they pack a good punch!

the cipro and flagyl seem to have taken mine down, probably just not infected, I have 1 day left on the meds and I'll see what happens.

Cipro and Flagyl always kept my abscess from filling up, but never closed my fistulas. Remi is supposed to be a good option, but did not work for me either. Eventually had surgery.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Mine would not heal with draining and antibiotics.
My surgeon was going to put in a seton, but in the middle of surgery decided to scoop the whole thing out. (For lack of better words)
That healed nicely, but either it came back in the same place, or a new one popped up in the same place.
Since being on Remicade, I haven't had any problems with it, and it has been two years now. I'm thinking that if I lost my remission, it would start up again.