• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diet/Bowel movements after right hemicolectomy

Hi, I am now 7 days post surgery but a little in the dark about what I should be eating/avoiding and how much. The hospital were not very good at telling me what should be doing and as I was high on morphine at the time I didn't think to really quiz them about it. Is there anything I should be avoiding for now and how much should I eat??
Also what should I expect my bowel movements to be like? I had the op on Friday but got to Tuesday and still hadn't passed anything so took a load of lactulose as I was getting worried. I then spent Tuesday evening on the toilet with really bad diarrhoea. I stopped the lactulose, had a soft/formed BM Wednesday evening but then nothing again since.
Any advice? I am also on codeine which also doesn't help.
Thanks😀

hawkeye

Staff member
I think generally they want you to keep off of the fiber. I was on a low fiber diet (no more than 10 grams of fiber per day ) until my 2 month follow up with the surgeon. It will likely be a while until things sort out given the codeine and any other pain medication as that can cause constipation