• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diet energy help

I'm in a diverticulitis flare with a small abscess.

I know part of my energy problem is the amount of pills I'm taking, but the other part is my diet.

I have to go back to work tomorrow to work 4 days in a row. My job is more or less on my feet for 10 hours, 8 to 10 miles of walking, at times I will have lots of bending/lifting, and customer service. I don't know what to make that will give me energy.

I have a new batch of home made turkey stock on the stove now. Ive made risotto and cooked to death egg noddle soup with the turkey stock. I've eat a few crackers with a tinny amount of peanut butter 3 times a day to take a handful of meds. I've also been adding a pedialyte electrolyte powder pack twice a day. with what ever I'm drinking.

What to make and eat next?

Have you ever tried Ensure with protein? When I am in a particularly bad flare, that’s all I am able to tolerate. I also bought a juicer (one that removes all of the pulp/fiber) and will make a juice with spinach, apples, oranges, and celery.

I can not stand any of the Ensure and Glucerna flavers.
I never liked the juices people made for me, but i might be headed down this road very soon.

I ended up making a batch of split pea (did not use many) soup with rice made with turkey broth. I cooked the living snot out of it.

I did ok on energy till I got home and sat down.

How about butternut squash or pumpkin smoothie with a vegan protein powder. Spice with cinnamon, turmeric, ginger.

I'm back to eating anything I want. I found out a few days ago that I have full blown Crohn's after years of a few Dr's going back and forth on what i have. It's been about 2 years from my last ct scan and my colon has gotten huge.

I'm at the point that I have to have a most of my colon needs to be cut out. I should set the date in a few days and hope to set it up in about 60 days so I can take care of my financial issues.

I have gotten to the point i'm no longer in shock and ready to get it over with.

I need the surgery date at this point so I can start FMLA paper work and everything.

I got my FMLA and short term disability paper work started.

I have around 70 days to drop 30+ pounds. I have tried to drop weight all my life, but when I cramp I eat...

cmack

Staff member
I hope you can see a dietician, or nutritionist. Maybe then you would have a better idea what to eat to feel full, but still lose weight. I believe you can lose the weight with determination and some guidance. Good luck to you fire bob.

Lynda Lynda

How about butternut squash or pumpkin smoothie with a vegan protein powder. Spice with cinnamon, turmeric, ginger.
I have a new Nutribullet "extractor."
I will have to search this site for suggestions.
I cannot eat solid food right now, but I am looking forward to making healthy meal replacement "smoothies" every day.
Thank you Dawn.
🐼

cmack

Staff member
pm me sometime and I'll give you some smoothie recipes that I like. You can try them or just use them as a starting point for your own recipes if you like, Lynda. There are a certain few things my doc strongly recommended including. Anything you don't tolerate well you just leave out.

Lynda Lynda

pm me sometime and I'll give you some smoothie recipes that I like. You can try them or just use them as a starting point for your own recipes if you like, Lynda. There are a certain few things my doc strongly recommended including. Anything you don't tolerate well you just leave out.
Thank You. 🐥
I want to make a brand new start.
I have eaten bad foods for so long.
I can't go back to the way I was eating before.
Now is my chance to start over.
My cupboard and fridge are bare right now since I cannot eat solid food.
I will PM you when I am ready.
🌻