• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diet has definitely helped Crohn's

Hi, I'm new to this, but I've realized over the years that I often have questions about what is normal, what to expect, etc. in different situations. Was diagnosed in 2005 when I had a small bowel resection. Since then was on Asacol and Imuran and did fairly well with brief flares every now and then. But in 2015 I started having pain almost every day and my doctor took me off Asacol and put me on Humira. Humira was great for about 2 months (the intensive start-up shots helped, I think) but then my pain returned. I eventually saw a nutritionist who recommended a natural, grain-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, soy-free diet (basically a form of Paleo). I've done really well on it as long as I stick to it. :) I've asked my doctor about reducing or getting off Humira especially, but of course she doesn't recommend it. Any experience with diet and reducing medication, with or without a doctor's recommendation?

If you decide to do this, please update often. I may be in denial but I feel like every medication I have tried has done more harm than good. I've asked my Dr. if we can reduce/stop medications and have an appointment in June. I will provide an update when I go. I expect that he will not be supportive as I've had 4-5 ft of small bowel removed already. Best of luck in whatever you decide!