• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dieting and Crohn's disease.

Hi all,

I'm currently battling Crohn's disease, just wanting some support and ideas. I've been stuck on prednisone for the majority of 4 years. Using 6mp, humira and me sevant. Just wanting ideas on eating tips, and what you guys do to manage your condition. I've gone lactose and majority gluten free, avoid caffeine like the plague. I've attempted makers diet, juicing diets, low carb high protein diet, vegan diets, and was hospitalised almost after attempting every diet except the makers diet which appeared to make no difference. Currently attempting a paleo diet... See how I go! Over the emotional roller coaster.... Any ideas on how you guys deal with stress? I find this is the biggest trigger for me, how do u battle that emotional train wreck I feel I am... How do I gain the confidence to go out and live life again.... I just feel as though I'm kinda stuck in a rutt. I've tried that whole psychology approach. Like speaking positively and trying to believe I might get better... But again with little success. I regularly exercise, do you guys think maybe using a complete liquid diet temporarily might give my bowels a rest? And allow me to get off the steroids? Suggestions please! :p

nogutsnoglory

It's very physically and mentally exhausting. I too have tried most of the diets that are potentially helpful. I only got sicker and sicker so I know I need meds and I stick to a low fiber mainly organic diet. A total liquid diet is excellent at giving your bowels rest but the problem often returns upon going back to a normal diet. If you do a liquid diet make sure to include drinks like ensure orgain so you are getting proper nutrients.

Yeah ... Have you found any supplements to calm nervous system effective? Anyone tried vsl#3 and found a dosage effective? Anyone tried gravelyn?

David

Co-Founder
That you've been on prednisone for four years is very concerning to me.

Have you tried any biologics?

If the paleo diet doesn't work (I think highly of it when done properly) I suggest looking into exclusive enteral nutrition.

All my best to you.

Wow 4 years on Prednisone! Have you ever looked into the SCD "diet" (Specific Carbohydrate Diet). I wouldn't call it a diet but more of a lifestyle. I incorporate a lot of Paleo recipes with the SCD rules. Check out SCD online to do so e research it helps!

Yeah tried scd diet, went to hospital for 5 weeks after it.... Not sure if that had something to do with the products naturopath recommended....Doctors at royal Melbourne were borderline surgery! Lost 15kg in about 2.5 weeks.... Was kinda brutal!!!! I might take a look into that David! :)

Last edited:
Currently using humira which is part of biologics David? Found it has brought it into a more controllable state.... However I'm still not able to get completely of prednisone... Anyone able to tell me of side effects due to long term use?

Slowly getting my dosage down on the pred finally! :) my training in gym is finally paying off! Improved eating and thinking + exercise is helping so much. Check this out guys! It's doable! :) can throw a vote if you like? I'd love to chat with anyone wanting help with getting into the gym! Just post on the thread! :)

Man! I Am in literally the same boat as you! Treatments aren't working, trying to get fit and I'm also starting back over at 57kg right now. Ahah. It's awesome to see your progress, and just hat you're capable of, despite the crohn's.

Before I was back in hospital, I managed a 90kg sumo-stance deadlift (due to sciatica) when I was 60kg. Not spectacular by healthy people means but for me it was such a rush!

Have you tried bodyweight exercises much? I have found that many of them are definitely not for the feint of heart, and even many athletes struggle with bodyweight stuff. It's fun and a bit harder to hurt yourself, and has the fastest results I've found :D

If you would like, check out Frank Medrano on youtube. He's a vegan calisthenics athlete that really shows where advanced moves can do for you, when you progress to that point.

All the best with your training and health! Please keep us updated, I'd love to see how you go.

Hi!

I know how you feel!

However, from what I've learned everyone reacts differently with food. Many people always suggested to keep a food journal and write about what you eat and how you feel. Some food acts like triggers which cause inflammation. I guess when you have a free time check it out? Obviously avoid things like food that is high in fiber and spicy food. For me, meat always work... but make sure it's more on the lean side rather than the fatty side. Also I try to avoid vegetables since it's harder to break down and sometimes fruits don't act well. Another thing, you should do whatever you can to absolutely AVOID processed food. It hurts you a lot. Let me know if you have any updates!