• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Difference between Azathioprine and 6-MP

Hi I'm looking to find out the diffference between the two drugs. At the moment, my Crohns is great but my joints and skin are not. I have an appointment wiht my Dermatologist on Friday and GI on Monday and was going to ask them if I could switch to 6-MP to see if it made any difference.

Azathioprine is a prodrug of 6-MP. In the colon the body cleaves it the molecule into thiouric acid and 6-MP. Thiouric acid itself is inactive and is dumped out via stool/urine without further ceremony. The 6-MP is then absorbed into your bloodstream and begins it's vastly more complex metabolism.

The difference is almost entirely in the medicines digestion, ie some people tolerate 6-MP better then Azathioprine because it gives them less nausea. Switching to 6-MP is not likely to alleviate skin related symptoms.