• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Digital twin opens way to effective treatment of inflammatory diseases

I don't know if they are going to carry out clinical trials but it will be really interesting if clinical trials are successful.

Scipio

@Scipio - you have perhaps more knowledge than I have. What do you think is the potential of this to be successful.
I think this might evolve into an interesting research tool, but I don't think we will any time soon see a direct therapeutic tool that consists of creating digital twins for everybody and actually prescribing therapy based on what the digital model predicts. Since the actual biological system is incredibly complex, the digital twin would be equally complex and would need to be based on a complete understanding of the biological system. I can't imagine the massive amount of research, testing, and validation that would be required for FDA to ever approve such a system.

Also, drug companies will likely oppose, and certainly will not fund research into, such a system if they perceive that the use of digital twins will reduce the use of their drugs. Why would say Janssen want to fund a system that cuts their market share for Remicade by identifying a bunch of patients for whom Remicade won't work very well? They would likely prefer the current system where a doc tries Remicade first for a year on a new patient before moving on to a perhaps more effective option.

I think this might evolve into an interesting research tool, but I don't think we will any time soon see a direct therapeutic tool that consists of creating digital twins for everybody and actually prescribing therapy based on what the digital model predicts. Since the actual biological system is incredibly complex, the digital twin would be equally complex and would need to be based on a complete understanding of the biological system. I can't imagine the massive amount of research, testing, and validation that would be required for FDA to ever approve such a system.

Also, drug companies will likely oppose, and certainly will not fund research into, such a system if they perceive that the use of digital twins will reduce the use of their drugs. Why would say Janssen want to fund a system that cuts their market share for Remicade by identifying a bunch of patients for whom Remicade won't work very well? They would likely prefer the current system where a doc tries Remicade first for a year on a new patient before moving on to a perhaps more effective option.
Thanks for your response. Very informative. Because Crohn's is a complex disease, the treatment may also be complex and this line of treatment should definitely be explored. I hope some pharmaceutical company takes this challenge. It will be a real tragedy if no company takes it up.