• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Disability for Crohn's

I just got accepted for social security disability for Crohns Disease because I am unable to go to school and I am unable to work because of the abdominal pain I constantly have. I am getting a foot of my intestines removed on Thursday. I would like to know how much money I should expect to receive each month. I am 16 years old if it makes a difference

Hannahbanana:)

since your only sixteen and probably never really worked and paid into social security you would most likely be approved for SSI. see link.. http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityssi/ssi.html
I know someone who never worked and is on ssi and they get about 200 a month. its not much but at least its something. every situation is different though.

The main difference between Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income is the fact that SSD is available to workers who have accumulated a sufficient number of work credits, while SSI disability benefits are available to low-income individuals who have either never worked or who haven't earned ...

you said social security and unless you have worked at least 25-30 years which im assuming no since your only 16 you will be getting ssi.. you may want to look over your paperwork..

My mom doesn't currently have a job. We just moved back to Nashville and she is looking for one. And we don't live with my dad. So what does that mean for me?

Hannahbanana:)

My son gets SSI for autism b/c he doesnt have work credits. If its SSD the amount will depend on how many years of work credits your parent(s) earned. If its SSI it depends to a certain degree on household income. My son got 250 when i was working, but now that Im not he gets 407/month