• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Disallowed Foods & Allowed Foods

Karen

FRIEND 4 1 & ALL
While looking up some things for my husband I found a list that might help some of you out. It's called Allowed Foods & Disallowed Foods that you can have and cannot have I found it to be very good reading !!

DISALLOWED FOODS

Sugars - Do not eat sugar, molasses, sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, fructose, or any processed sugar.

Veggies - All canned vegetables are not permitted. All grains are not permitted, such as: corn, wheat, wheat germ, barley, oats, rye, rice, buckwheat, soy , and others. Some legumes are not allowed: chick peas, bean sprouts, soybeans, mungbeans, faba beans, and garbanzo beans. Starchy foods are not permitted, such as: potatoes, yams, and parsnips. Seaweed and seaweed byproducts, such as agar and carrageenan, are not allowed.

Meats - All canned meats are forbidden. Most processed meats are not permitted. Make sure processed meat doesn't contain any harmful additive such as corn, corn products, starch, and sugars.

Dairy - All variations of milk are not allowed: whole, skim, 1%, 2%, chocolate, etc. Some cheeses contain a high lactose content and are restricted: Ricotta, Mozzarella, cottage cheese, cream cheese, feta, and processed cheeses and cheese spreads. Commercial yogurt contains a high amount of lactose and is not allowed. Heavy Cream, buttermilk, and sour cream are not allowed.

Misc. - Other foods that are not permitted include: bread, pasta, other starchy foods, canola oil, commercial mayonnaise (because of additives), ice cream, candy, cocoa, chocolate, carob, whey powder, margarine, commercial ketchup, baking powder, mixed nuts.

ALLOWED FOODS
Quantities are not restricted.

Sugars - Honey is the only allowed sugar product. Not everyone can tolerate it, so use with caution.

Veggies - Most vegetables, fresh or frozen and raw or cooked, are allowed including: asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, artichokes, beets, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots celery, cucumbers, eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, rhubarb, peppers, garlic, lettuce, spinach, mushrooms (unless you have candidiasis), onions, turnips, and watercress. Be careful of raw vegetables when diarrhea is present.

Legumes - Dried navy beans, lentils, peas, split peas, unroasted cashews, peanuts in a shell, all natural peanut butter, lima beans, and string beans.

Meats - All unprocessed meats such as: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, quail, ostrich, fish, shellfish, lamb, venison, rabbit, and eggs. Some processed meats are allowed, but many require writing letters to manufacturers to verify the absence of restricted foods. Much processed meat contain sugar, starch, corn products, and other disallowed foods

Dairy - All natural cheeses except those listed above are allowed: cheddar, Colby, Swiss, havarti, dry curd cottage cheese, etc. * Homemade yogurt * that has been fermented for a minimum of 24 hours is allowed and encouraged.

Fruits - Most fruits are allowed such as: avocados, apples, tomatoes, olives, apricots, ripened bananas, coconuts, dates, berries, cherries, citrus fruits, peaches, pears, tropical fruits, and grapes.

Nuts - Almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, chestnuts, filberts, and pecans.

Misc: The following foods are allowed: olive oil, coconut oil, soybean oil, corn oil, weak tea, weak coffee, unflavored gelatin, mustard, vinegar, saccharin, and juices with no additives.

* If anyone wants this recipe feel free to PM ME and ask & I can get it for you as my husband has some cooking as I post this ... so stay tune !! *
:)

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
That is the list that is described in breaking the vicious cycle, known as the Simple Carbohydrate Diet. Thank you for sharing it Karen.

As I am sure many of you can see, it is quite restrictive about certain things. It however is doable (for some) and people have found relief or acheived prolonged remission with it.

hmmmm thats interesting most of the stuff your saying is not permitted my dr told me im only allowed. Like Canned Veggies. He said thats all Im allowed to have... weird thanks for sharing this though its helpful...

Tami Lynn

Forum Angel
The list that Karen posted is from the specific carbohydrate diet (SCD) that is discussed in a book called, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gotchall (sp?) She was inspired to write it when her daughter was diagnosed with Celiac disease (some type of wheat allergy I believe), as well as Crohns.

It's a very strict and rigid diet. One that some swear by and have achieved great results with and also one that others simply find "un-do-able" (like me! lol)

You either follow it (the SCD diet) to the 'T' or don't bother with it at all, b/c it only works if you follow it exact.