• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Discomfort/ pain after capsule endoscopy (pillam)

Finished my capsule endoscopy yesterday. Although it was an easier prep than the EGD/Colonoscopy, I'm a bit concerned.

The aftermath of the EGD/colonoscopy was quite painful for me. I think a lot of it had to do with the amount of air and gas buildup, but it did pass with plenty of wind. This time, however, the pain, although not totally unbearable, is SO persistent! I actually had to leave work early due to the fact that my gut and back were hurting so much. I just don't get it!

I am also worried about the procedure itself. I have actually been struggling with constipation lately and was hoping that the movi-prep would help ease that up and clear it out, but it did not seem nearly as productive as the first time I used it (for the colonoscopy). I'm concerned that it may have an effect on the procedure that was pretty much my last hope for an actual indication of what's going on down there.

Anyway, I guess I was just wondering if anyone else has had these issues with any procedures that included a prep. Were your guts just totally out of whack for a while afterwards? Should I be concerned that I'm still in pain from such a minimally invasive procedure?

From what I understand the prep for a pill cam is less intense, as you mention at the beginning.

The seemingly un-productive nature of the prep may be down to that, what do you think? Did you take less than for a scope and if so do you think that could be the explanation?

I certainly have been out of sorts after scopes.

But for a pill cam I have no experience. If you have any worries do seek medical advice. If you feel the pain is not right, certainly consult someone straight away. It could be an indicator that the capsule is not passing through as it should.

Hello. I second what StarGirrrl said. If in doubt consult a doctor. If the pain does not get better or gets worse. Go to emergency room. There may be a small possibility for perforation or infection. My kid had a pill cam done and he did not have any discomfort.We did see the pill cam out but I had to look really good inside the poo. It is very important that you are sure it went out, if not it will be necessary to do an x-ray to see if is still inside. I hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted.

I don't recall really having any discomfort from the cam itself (although I'm sure that's hard to tell). I'm just thinking that the prep threw everything out of sorts in my guts or that there is some kind of inflammatory response going on. Like I said, the pain has not been unbearable, but it is not going away, either. I was having some discomfort before the procedure, but I kept chalking that up to the constipation. I'm wondering now if I should have said something to the nurses about it before the procedure, but hindsight won't help.

I have had two solid bm's since the procedure and have been assuming that means that the cam has passed, but I am still quite sore. I have been out sick from work because it seems that all the activity is only making it worse. I think that, unless the pain increases, I will call my GI nurse on Monday and ask her about it or if there's anything we can do.

Also, Stargirrrrl, the prep dosage was the same for the cam as it was for the colonoscopy. Only difference was the limitations on food and consumption time as I could eat breakfast the morning before the procedure but clear liquid diet after noon and nothing within two hours of the procedure itself.

I'm not sure whether or not that had to do much with the productivity of the prep, but now that I think on it, it could very well have. Especially with how backed up I was already feeling.

I did half prep for pillcam and yes had a lot of pain afterwards. I think the prep may be quite irritating in itself. I haven't been diagnosed with Crohns as the scopes have been clear.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I went in for an x-ray yesterday to be sure the pill had passed and received the results this morning that it appears it has. There are also no blockages, which is good, but that it did appear that I am constipated which may be causing the discomfort. I have an appointment to see the nurse practitioner tomorrow.

I did ask the nurse whether or not I could be having full bm's with being constipated and she said it was possible, but she seemed a little confused by the information also. I guess we'll see what happens. I really just hope to get some help with the discomfort tomorrow as I'm worried about going back to work with it.