• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Discontinuing Lialda (mesalamine).

The short:
I want to stop taking my medication, Lialda, as soon as possible. I'm currently taking 2 pills twice a day. I take 2 at 9:30 AM and 2 at 9:30 PM. Does anyone have any experience with stopping Lialda or related mesalamine drug treatment? Do you need to slowly decrease the dose or anything like that? Can I stop tonight?

The long:
I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease when I was 14. My pediatric GI induced remission with a round of Prednisone. He suggested I take Pentasa (also mesalamine) to keep things under control. My father suggested I not take the medicine. I didn't.

Five years have passed and my Crohn's disease has basically meant the same thing for me every day. It means that I have between 2-4 bowel movements every day and at least one of them will be unnecessary, loose, with little stool. It means that I'm 5'8" (male) and weigh 125 pounds.
I decided to see a GI and see if I could live symptomless. A colonoscopy later and I'm on Lialda 1 pill, twice a day. For two months I have one formed bowel movement a day in the morning and can eat anything without fear of having a bowel movement moments later. Cut to two weeks ago and my symptoms have returned. Cut to one week ago and I've double the dose of Lialda and I'm having 6-9 bowel movements a day. I've decided that I'm not going to take the medicine anymore.